Interesting Q and more interesting A!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Novdid
    The monitor as another issue my friend, you need atleast 85hz because the phosphors can't keep the illuminance for long therefore anything less will be perceived as flickery.

Just for example, look at TFT screens, even at a refreshrate of 60Hz they do not flicker.
    The part about the 85hz with the monitor backs up what we're saying. If the eye couldn't perceive greater than 30fps, you wouldn't notice the flicker (the flicker by definition happens at the same rate as the refresh, since it's occuring between refreshes, heh).

The problem with TFT's isn't flicker though. It's the latency needed to update a pixel. At 60hz refresh (even with phoshors that don't dim between refreshes), most TFT type displays show ghosting artifacts (there are a few, mostly much higher priced models that have better latency, and that mostly do away with the problem).

Last edited by Snake-Eyes; 15 May 2002, 08:15.
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

You can't easily put quality into an excel graph
      No, but you can put the test setup onto super duper high quality settings and benchmark there - this seems to be where Parhelia will excel (just like the G400 MAX before it).
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yup.

-nt-
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

To me, Parhelia is the only one that offers me this option:

Independent Dual Heads via 2 1920x1200 LCD panels.

(I know I sound a bit elitist, but trust me, I've saved a looong time to buy my Samsung 240T. And yes, once you've actually play games and do work on a 24" widescreen HDTV quality display, nothing less will do. )

Anyway, my next upgrade is scheduled to be next year...so 3DLabs, ATI, Nvidia and even the BitBoys still have time to make me change my mind and earn my money.

Comment

I don't expect 250 fps to be that useful if it's understood as average framerate. You'd need a screen with a 250 Hz refresh rate to get a change to see all the frames... The only use for, say, a 200 fps framerate, would be for stereo view, with each eye seeing 100fps. But that would require a real, dual-monitor stereo view, not the simpler system that would require a 200Hz display...

By the way, I'm wondering... When a card has finished rendering a frame, does it switch on the fly, or does it wait for the RAMDAC to finish displaying the current frame on the screen ?

Comment

Working...
            X