X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia-512 Retail Pictures

Just came accross these.....

Neeeed

Montreal, Canada, June 18th, 2002-Matrox Graphics Inc., the leading professional graphics company, announces the Matrox Parhelia™ family of graphics accelerators the first graphics boards based on the revolutionary, new Matrox Parhelia-512 high fidelity GPU. Delivering the highest quality, excellent performance and unique features, the Matrox Parhelia line of graphics boards is the first to offer a multitude of new features, including a full 256-bit DDR memory interface, partial compatibility with Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and the most advanced multi-display computing capabilities.

"We are excited to see hardware implementation of an important part of Microsoft DirectX 9.0 technology in the Matrox Parhelia graphics adaptors," says Channing Verbeck, Director of Windows Graphics and Gaming Technologies at Microsoft Corp. "With its DirectX 9.0-compatible Quad Vertex Shader Array and Hardware Displacement Mapping support, Parhelia takes a significant step toward increasing the realism of 3-D graphics. And, with Parhelia's support for innovative multidisplay features such as TripleHead Desktop, its users will greatly benefit from the enhanced productivity made available by running Windows XP in a multimonitor environment."

Matrox Parhelia graphics adaptors represent the highest quality 2D and 3D multi-display computing solutions available on the market. Ideal for desktop publishing, web design, software development, digital photography, video editing and gaming, the Matrox Parhelia is targeted to the 2D workstation, professional and PC enthusiast markets.

"Matrox has a long history of leadership in professional graphics, display quality and multi-display computing," says Jon Peddie, president, Jon Peddie Research. "With Parhelia, Matrox brings substantial ingenuity and compelling features to the 2D workstation and high-end enthusiast markets."

Widest variety of display outputs
    All Parhelia boards are full-height ATX form factor with two DVI-I connectors integrated on the bracket, and allow Matrox to offer the widest variety of display output options on the market:

Dual independent DVI-out at 1600 x 1200 resolution each (165MHz)
    Dual independent RGB-out at 400MHz each (dual 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz)
    Triple independent RGB-out in extended desktop mode at 3840 x 1024 32bpp
    Various mixes of DVI-, RGB- and TV-out
    The full flexibility of display configurations are offered to end users by the standard bundling of three cables/adaptors:

One "Y-shaped" DVI-I to dual HD-15 cable
    One DVI-I to HD-15 adaptor
    One HD-15 to S-video and composite cable
    Matrox Parhelia boards employ highly developed electronics, which-coupled with the Parhelia's dual 10-bit RAMDACs-ensure that signal quality is maintained at the highest frequency desktop settings, resulting in flicker-free, ultra-crisp displays, free of any pixel ghosting, sparkling or shadowing artifacts to deliver the highest-fidelity RGB, DVI and TV outputs.
    The Matrox Parhelia boards deliver the fastest 2D performance, and are the first full-speed AGP 4X devices capable of accelerating 3D across three monitors. All boards offer an incredible range of cutting-edge 2D and 3D features, including 10-bit GigaColor Technology, four quad-textured pixels rendered per clock, 64 Super Sample Texture Filtering, 16x Fragment Antialiasing (FAA-16x), Glyph Antialiasing, a Quad DirectX 9 Vertex Shader Array, a 36-op pixel shader array, and many more.

Surround Gaming
    For the ultimate gaming experience, Matrox Parhelia boards uniquely offer Surround Gaming for three- display game play, providing the most immersive 3D experience for many popular gaming titles including: Flight Simulator 2002, by Microsoft Corporation; Quake III Arena™, by Id Software™/ Activision®; Return to Castle Wolfenstein, by Gray matter and Id Software, Inc./Activision; Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast™, by Raven Software/LucasArts® Entertainment Company LLC; Unreal® Tournament 2003, by Digital Extremes and Epic Games, Inc./Atari®; Imperium Galactica 3: Genesis, by Philos Laboratories/CDV Software Entertainment AG, and many, many more.

Included software
    All Matrox Parhelia graphics boards will ship standard with full-featured drivers for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000 including support for Microsoft DirectX 8.1 and OpenGL® . Parhelia comes with Matrox's completely new PowerDesk-HF utility suite, providing easy-to-use controls for hardware configuration and multi-display desktop management.
    Parhelia is bundled with a special version of the Waytech Coloreal® advanced color calibration system. The Matrox version of Coloreal takes full advantage of the Parhelia's dual, high precision 10-bit RAMDACs and allows users to precisely color match multiple monitors.
    Also included is the Matrox GigaColor plug-in for Adobe® Photoshop®, allowing users to view extremely high color .TIF and .PNG files in 10-bit per color channel employing one billion simultaneously displayed colors. This applet is launched through Adobe's plug-in architecture and allows interactive viewing of images at the highest fidelity.
    Matrox technology demos include the stunning Reef demo-which showcases Parhelia's 3D technology and includes more than 100 realistic underwater denizens rendered simultaneously-and demos of Matrox's Hardware Displacement Mapping, which provides a new method of representing and rendering complex 3D geometry using a simple and compact data representation for the most realistic 3D scenes.

Pricing and availability
    At introduction, Matrox Parhelia graphics boards will be available with 128MB of DDR memory in both retail and bulk packaging. The retail packaged version of the Matrox Parhelia 128MB board will have an estimated street price of US $399 and both versions are expected to begin shipment by June 30th, 2002. Additionally, Matrox plans to bring a 64MB and a 256MB version of the Parhelia to market later this summer.

About Parhelia™-512
    A source of unparalleled quality, excellent performance, and the widest range of innovative features, ParheliaTM-512 is designed to bring outstanding graphics quality to professional users and PC enthusiasts alike. This AGP 4X, 80 million transistor, 0.15µ, 2D, 3D and DVD/video GPU supports a unified frame buffer of up to 256MB in size and features a true 256-bit DDR memory interface. ParheliaTM-512 delivers advanced multi-display computing with support for TripleHead RGB output, DualHead digital output and TV output for the ultimate in high fidelity graphics. With an unprecedented number of groundbreaking technologies, ParheliaTM-512 takes 2D quality and 3D realism to a whole new level.
    Last edited by RoGuE; 18 June 2002, 02:41.

sweet!!!!

it is good to see what my next video card is going to look like. i see that the box "says" tv-out and agp 4x. i'm especially glad to see the dual dvi connectors!

question : is this an agp pro card????

i'm patiently waiting.....

cc

Comment

bloke on front of box = reminiscent of 'Maxell' advert ...

Would need long hair though to get the effect
      G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

2 another pictures could be found here: <A HREF="http://www.cdr.cz/a/clanky/clanek/2951">http://www.cdr.cz/a/clanky/clanek/2951</A>...

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky Cheese
          question : is this an agp pro card????

i'm patiently waiting.....

cc
          Nope. It's a standard AGP (4x) card.

Comment

Two serious issues:

I hate dongles and adaptors, they should have included a standard D-sub.

No drivers for Win9x. While I have XP I´d like to also be able to use my 98se HD!

Still, send me the 128 mb one in time for coming weekend.

rubank

Comment

Damn. I am going to Chile for a month's holiday on the 29th June.

Oh well - I guess that August will be fun, and there should be plenty of feedback here by then to check that I won't have many problems if I go ahead and get it.

Anyone care to speculate on a UK price (USD 399 ==> GBP 399 as per bl00dy usual???)

gnep
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

GBP 399, come on, that's just about 150 pints...

Here in Germany, €550 are about 180 pints. So tell me, who is actually paying more?
                main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

Do it in cigarettes and there will be an even bigger difference...

GBP 399 = about 85 packets of ciggies.

Doesn't seem so bad now
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

*LOL*

€550 = about 180 packets...
                    main system: P4 Northwood 2.0 @ 2.5GHz, Asus P4PE (LAN + Audio onboard), 512MB Infineon PC333 CL2.5, Sapphire/BBA Radeon 9500@9700 128MB (hardmodded), IBM 100GB ATA-100, 17" Belinea (crappy), and some other toys...ADSL (1,5mbit/s down, 256kbit/s up...sweeeeeet!)

Comment

its funny how ive measured so many things in 'pints' or 'weekends worth of pints' in my life. Dates back to the student days when any purchase impacted on a night out - so you would weigh the benfits of clean clothes (5 quid say) against 8 pints ...

I smell bad
                      G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

"... the Matrox Parhelia is targeted to the 2D workstation, professional and PC enthusiast markets". from the press release.

Well, it seems that the Parhelia will do poorly in 3D compares to the NVIDIA. There is not too much you can do in the 2D environment. Anyone want to make prediction as how successful this card will be? I am unlikely to buy this card with a price tag of $399 US (I used to own MM1, MM2, G400), and likely to get a TI4200.

Comment

some questions about the board...

Can anyone comment on the following things on the card:

Behind the second DVI-connector (the one furthest from the AGP-bus), there are 2 holes, and 15 connections that appear to be in a D-SUB 15 layout. Any idea why this is there ?

Near the top of the card, there seems to be something that resembles a pinout for a feature connector (2 rows of pins, all parallel). Does this serve any purpose ?

(Maggi already confirmed that the "missing chip" - top middle - that was present on the alpha board will not be present on the production boards...)

edit: I forgot: why is there no marking on any of the chips on the card ?

Rubank:
                          I agree with you on the dongles: what if you want to run a 3-display desktop, with the occasional connection to a TV ? Does this mean having to crawl behind the atx-case to refit the cables (or does one have to resort to a dvi-switchbox to solve it) ? To bad they didn't include some sort of break out box, that could leave everything connected... But apart from that: great card, and I have little doubt I'd buy one for my next system !

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What's exactly wrong with a dongle?

My works machine with Radeon has DVI output and an adapter cable down to VGA D type. I don't notice it, it lives will all the other spaghetti on the floor!

More on topic - the $399 price - although sort-of expected - is rather steep. I would have hoped for a $300-350 price to ensure massive market take-up (well as much as possible when competing against the likes of nVidia). as I'm a UK'er, I hope the actual currency rate is used....
                            Cheers, Reckless

Comment

I think the 15-pin layout is so they can use the same board design for different models of cards. IOW, You'll see one with a VGA out on it.

AlgoRhythm

Comment

Working...
                              X