No announcement yet.

price is it really so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the price is brilliant. While comparing the Parhelia to ATi and nVidia consumer-level cards makes it seem a bit expensive, it is a multi-head workstation class card that is useful for much more than gaming. It should be compared to Quadro 4s and Wildcat IIIs.

For gaming, the Parhelia offers a slew of features that make existing games look better and run better now, not at some undefined point in the future. Case in point is the pixel/vertex shading features of NV20 and NV25, which are not being used much at the moment, and are about to be made obsolete with NV30, which will have features that few games will use until 2004. Also, I think that we can trust Matrox to write drivers that don't fudge up image quality for the sake of Q3A benchmarks. I would be looking forward to the R300 if I were able to trust ATi at all...

Another subtle, but nice thing about Matrox cards is that you only have to deal with one vendor, which makes troubleshooting and support much easier. Plus, Matrox isn't going to go belly up anytime soon.

Going forward, Matrox will have to introduce cards with programmable vertex and fragment processors as well as support for Cg. Occlusion culling also needs to be implemented in the next gen Matrox cards. It's perfectly acceptable to be without those capabilities now, but not in a year or so from now, especially if Matrox wants to move into the 3D workstation market after securing its hold on the 2D workstation market while making inroads back into the gaming market.

Comment

Look at this

Parhelia 128MB DDR AGP OEM
      Mfr code: PH-A128B
      Quicklinx: 224ZWS
      Long Lead Time Expected £286.00
      inc VAT £336.04

Parhelia 128MB DDR AGP Retail
      Mfr code: PH-A128R
      Quicklinx: 2250WS
      Long Lead Time Expected £306.00
      inc VAT £359.54

note the product code the first one is OEM ( Slow)

Its Cheaper to buy direct from matrox here in the UK

LE

Comment

It's expensive by any standard, but I do feel it is worth every penny. A feeling I didn't get when I splashed out 550 for my current GF3, which is a dog in 2D and tv-out is just horrible. And which is probably worth 2x nothing today.
        When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

Comment

Anyone from Norway here ?

Because today a dollar is only worth 7,6 Norwegian Kroners. That means that you by ordering the card from shopmatrox, can get it for around 3200 NOK. Just half a year ago, that was equal to ca. 320$. I liiiiiiiike it ;D

The only thing i don't know is if "taxes" or some other stuff are applied when ordering from Europe. Anyone here knows ?

At the moment the shopmatrox.com site is down, so I am unable to check it further out :/

Comment

Torhelge, it's +20% Value Added Tax all throughout Europe (except for GB and Germany), plus shipping (don't know how much though).

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The only way I could justify being first in line to get one, is if I was a graphics proffessional and made my living off it. Being an occasional business/entertaintment user I can wait until after Christmas when it should be a much easier to swallow $199US
              Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I doubt that will happen. G400 prices took a long long time to come down.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I totally agree with Morte, this card should be compared to Quadra, WildCat, and Fire GL cards. Who cares about Quake FPS? How clear and sharp are my renderings and Photoshop docs going to be? How about superior multi-monitor support? And all those things that have kept most of use buying Matrox cards for years?

I am still using both my original Millennium cards and even my ancient MGA+! They are all PCI and running in servers, 1 Linux and 2 Win2K; and they work great.

I was really worried when I first heard the rumors that this thing was going to be over a grand, like so many WildCat cards. I am delighted with the cost. I have been waiting a year for a beefy new Matrox product. I was about to buy a PCI AND an AGP G450 so I could get quality and reliable 3 head support.

Another thing about Matrox, they tend to not bone users on cost when a new product comes out, and then dramatically lower the cost a few months later. I paid $150 for an AGP G400 in 1999, the price has changed little between then and now for the 450, and 550. This makes me feel comfortable being an earlier adopter, and not worring it will be $100 in a year. Unlike the Nvidia cards. Where a GF 2 GTS came out at about $300, and now is $50!
                  Last edited by HaloFX; 23 June 2002, 22:03.

Comment

Yup.
                    Anyone who thinks the card will be 1/2 the initial price in six months is fooling themselves.
                    3 years later, G400 is still not 1/2 it's original price.
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I just had around $500 worth of overtime this weekend, now what to spend it on .....
                      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

i want to buy one too.

i live in Australia and checking aus price here...
                        This website is for sale! focalpoint.com.au is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, focalpoint.com.au has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

$1061 AUD for retail??? i can buy 2 19" monitors...

i have a c433 now and looking to upgrade to p4, and want to wait for a Parhelia..but not at this price

maybe i have to succumb to GeForce....

Comment

You can always wait and check out the price of the 64MB version in about three months.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Torhelge, as the NOK is very strong I suspect the norwegian webshops shouldget good deals on the Parhelia too. So I would wait a week or two until you see the price it is selling for in Norway. If you order it it would be (3000,-+ shipping) + 24% MVA + 3% toll+ 80,- fortollingsgebyr at least. So I would wait a week or so

Cobos
                            My Specs
                            AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

xortam you are right but to draw 3 mons might need a lot of ram, 64MB seems to small to do that.
                              besides Matrox might remove some feature that i want to make the card cheaper.
                              anyway ill wait for the review

Comment

Originally posted by isochar
                                Considering that the cheapest GF4 ti4600 costs $300USD, and the Parhelia offers approximately the same speed plus a heap of features. I'd say we're get a bargain at $400.
                                Well, then I would expect the Matrox Parhelia based card to have equal if not better performance considering the lack of a software bundle.

But... we do get the cables for multiple monitor output which (I think) you have to pay extra for with the GeForce4 based cards.

Comment

Working...
                                X