No announcement yet.

tomshardware review online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm not really dissapointed in the low benchmarks in Q3, but if the anisotropic filtering quality doesn't improve (blurry! ) and UT2003 is way behind too, then I'm not buying the card.

Q3 doesn't mean anything to me anymore, BUT, if a card has the bandwith why would the 1600x1200 scores drop so much?

Immature drivers

I'm not interrested in 150 fps, a want a steady 60-85 fps with 64 taps aniso with awesome IQ, I haven't seen any awesome IQ yet...
    P4 2,4@2,6 AsusP4T-533 C 512 mb PC 1066 Quantum Atlas 10KII SCSI ATI R9700

Comment

Yngwie WHO?
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I was disappointed to see that the Parhelia wasn't able to do at least 85 fps@32 bit in any resolution on Jedi Knight 2. (1024, 1280, 1600)

Comment

I've lost my faith in Matrox now

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
            Yngwie WHO?
            hehehe

No big deal... just a guy who was born in a neighbour country of yours... who is learning to play the guitar...
            <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
            <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
              Yngwie WHO?
              The fat guy with the Fender guitar

Oh man, he is sooooo fat. Luckily his soloing is as good as his belly is fat

Anyway, back on topic: I must say I'm a little disappointed but I'm waiting for more reviews before coming to conclusions.
              KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Originally posted by Edward
                Well I'm not really dissapointed in the low benchmarks in Q3, but if the anisotropic filtering quality doesn't improve (blurry! ) and UT2003 is way behind too, then I'm not buying the card.
                Well, I think the pics were in too small res. to be able to judge anything!
                I'm still hoping that the bbz will save the day!
                I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
                + =

Comment

Originally posted by Znucke
                  Where are they by the way? I think they can say something now after the first review and the date being 25th.

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
                  Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Comment

Originally posted by YngwieM

hehehe

No big deal... just a guy who was born in a neighbour country of yours... who is learning to play the guitar...
                    Just had to post it since I'm sitting ower here in my T-shirt that reads "Yngwie WHO?" on the front and on the back!
                    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

• @Edward: exactly what I'm thinking.

And thop: Lars always "disguises" his Bias so that at first view you could think he wrote an unbiased article.
                      E.g. take the R8500: first he uses an OEM clocked version in this review and of course tests it against the highest clocked GF4. Then he says that the Radeon does tricks with anisotropic filtering and thus he didn't measure it.
                      That's partially correct: the Radeon does have a special way to do anisotropic filtering that can give non-optimal results at a few specific angles, but you normally only see this in artificial setups and not in real games. In overall the R8500 allows for MUCH higher anisotropic settings than the GF4 giving MUCH better/sharper textures in nearly every real-world case. And this with nearly no performance-loss (<10%). The Radeon8500 even at OEM clockings simply would've crushed the GF4ti4600 at the anisotropic filtering benchies and this is something that can't be (a NVidia card not winning) so he left these benches out.
                      This is with the Radeon8500 where I know what's going on and how fake those benchies are. Most likely he did similar things with the test-structure to make the Parhelia look worse.

P.S.: I'm sure if NVidia had integrated the Radeons anisotropic filtering method they would praise it over anything other, giving FREE anisotropic filtering.
                      And if he's going to say "it's doing tricks, leave it out", OK. But then he must be consequent about this. Why does he include the Quincunx which really looks shit (esp. without anisotropic)? Yes, because it makes the FSAA on the GF appear fast even though it's doing major tricks that really deteriorate image quality
                      Last edited by Indiana; 24 June 2002, 15:08.
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

• Lets hope that with the multitude of reviews we will be seeing tommorow, we will get a fair, un-biased view of the parhelia.

Ive seen the numbers from the THG review, and they are still a bit behind Nvidia, but that doesnt mean im giving up my number on the waiting list Im buying the parhelia for the same reason i bought the G400 MAX years ago, 2d features that can not be matched and excellent 3d image quality with DECENT gaming speeds. I still use my G400 MAX, and i use an original Matrox Millenium w/ 2MB in my server...that card still has the best image quality i have ever seen (2d)
                        -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Znucke
                          Me too! Since a few minutes it is the 25th june here in germany, so the NDA is over
                          I hope they can clear some things up, IMHO the whole card is a bit disappointing for me now, especially the Aniso quality seems to be not that good, I hope it is really caused by the picture compression.... but I doubt it
                          Specs:
                          MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

• Originally posted by Kosh Naranek
                            So I guess .. you would fork out for an extra monitor too ?
                            So that the total cost would be 399$ + a monitor ?
                            Sorround gaming .... hmmmm
                            AFAIK Cobos has 3 monitors at his disposal... Or he can borrow from a friend, though it'll be 15" if he does...

Come to think of it, quite a few of my friends have 3 monitors... Just like me

And in Norway the price for the Parhelia (at least when preordering) is 299$ + tax..

Hei Sindre

Hilsen Erik B.
                            Last edited by MrGaribaldi; 24 June 2002, 15:19.

Comment

• Originally posted by 103er-Fan
                              Me too! Since a few minutes it is the 25th june here in germany, so the NDA is over
                              I hope they can clear some things up, IMHO the whole card is a bit disappointing for me now, especially the Aniso quality seems to be not that good, I hope it is really caused by the picture compression.... but I doubt it
                              Well, remember that the ppl over @ THG are probably bias.

I wonder if Lars hangs out with nVidiots like "Hellbinder" and regulary measure their die. of their dongle?
                              Lars probably has an 0.09nm... ROTFLMAO
                              I'll buy a new card Soon™, very Soon™!
                              + =

Comment

• "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
                                Ken Olson, President, Digital Equipment, 1977

Comment

Working...
                                X