Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your first impressions of the Parhelia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your first impressions of the Parhelia ?

A little poll to sample the first impressions after reviews have started hitting the web
    Exactly as I expected
    0%
    Not too bad but I had hope for a bit more
    0%
    A lot worse then expected, I am dissapointed
    0%
    Performance you say? It's (visual) quality and features I'm after ...
    0%

We all knew what to expect, M has been saying it is not there to beat a 4600 card. It does enough, the card is sweet
    hmmmmm

Comment

I was hoping for much more, but wasn't expecting anything else either...

Now what i want to know is how big variations are there in the P's FPS?
      Is it just like the GF's with over 100 FPS dips, or does it make do with 10-15 FPS loss in certain scenes?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
        I was hoping for much more, but wasn't expecting anything else either...

Now what i want to know is how big variations are there in the P's FPS?
        Is it just like the GF's with over 100 FPS dips, or does it make do with 10-15 FPS loss in certain scenes?
        Look at one of the other threads, there's a picture in there of the fps over time, exactly the same pattern as every other card ...
        So far for the stable fps ?

Comment

"Not too bad but I had hope for a bit more".

However I'm waiting for the 64 MB version. If it will cost €100 less, it will be what I was really expecting.
          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

I went with number 2, but I am slightly disspointed with with numbers so far, but this only based off of 2 reviews I've seen so far. Plus Future driver revisions will weigh in on this. I'm starting to have second thoughts about getting it also, but in all likelyhood I'll still get it
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

im disapointed at the moment i thought it would do alot better then it did, considering the Nvidia nv30 and the ati r300 will be out at the end of the year and matrox wont release a new card for ages, id thought they would have made a bit more 3d capable ?
              Snake

Dual AMD MP 1800+
              Asus A7M266-D
              512MB ECC registered MEM
              2 * 40GB IBM HDD
              RAID 0 using Promise ultra 100
              Audigy Platinum
              2 * 19" iiyama monitors
              Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb
              (Parhelia )

Comment

First I would like to say that I usualy set my first impression on how the card is running in my system. Since these P4 >2,5 GHz and these XP2100's are way faster than my "aging" Atlon 1 Ghz.
                But about the performance which has been showed in the reviews I have to admit that I am slightly disapointed
                But I hoped for a bit more, that is for both FAA performance as well as raw performance. What I am really disappointed from so far seems the Aniso quality, but 3dCenter already stated that this seems to be a bug, so I set high hopes on Matrox driver team. Another thing what I don't understand why Matrox use these strange .NET driver interface, it is around 20 MB large! Also why doesn't include Matrox a DVD player in the retail package? Almost every card, even some noname GF4 MX cards have DVD players included, especially because Matrox is claiming great DVD quality.

Enough talking, I voted the 2nd, still hoping for better drivers, the past always showed that driver-development can boost performance up to 30%!
                Specs:
                MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I think that as an "out of the box" it's the best card to come out in the last few years (do you remember all the "issues" with ATI/nVIDIA cards ?)

At last a company with enough self dignity not to sell half baked goods

Comment

If the card was $300, I would say the the Parhelia beats all my expectations. For $400, I'm still iffy. Don't know if to get a cheapie now and wait for the, hopefully higher clocked, .13 version, or buy now and OC myself.
                    Mmmm... OK where's that $100 off coupon for ShopMatrox

Comment

Watercooling anyone ?

Comment

A lot worse, but that's only because I expect a $400 part to outperform a $300 part on all levels.

Had Matrox priced the card at $300, my viewpoint would change considerably.

-[Ch]amsalot

Comment

It does seem a bit pricey when you look at the performance.
                          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The Pit> Depends on where you live... Just checked a couple of webshops here in norway, and guess what...

The P is about par with the ti4600... (meaning they're both damn expensive, retaling around 499$ here)...)

And since the preorder price for the P is 299$ for norway I'm saving about 200$...

Comment

If future drivers increase the performance of the card much in the same manner as the R8500 drivers has done over the past 6 months...hm...that would mean a 50% increase!!!

Well you can always hope, but I have found myself not giving a damn...want Triplehead and Gigacolor!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X