No announcement yet.

What can save the Parhelia ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wouldn’t you overclock you Parhelia? What are you afraid of? If you use the retail HSF assembly, there is no concerns to have at all, and if you use another heatsink-fan/waterblock
    Well, kablam comes to mind. In my experience, that's a very good thing to be afraid of. I do speak from experience here, having learned first-hand the effects of the water pump on your CPU failing.

See, first kablam happens, and then you have a water-cooled CPU, motherboard, video card, and wall. Not a pretty picture.....

Comment

Well, that's why I use Fluorinert: I has an extremely high dielectric constant (so it's NOT eletrically conductive), it's non-toxic, easy to clean up is case of spills, has physical properties almost idewntical to those of water, and is expensive But if you can’t afford some, just use regular distilled water (which is NOT conductive) and add a few teaspoons of sugar just to be on the same side. My main server is a liquid-cooled P4 1.5 @ 2 GHz and aside the noise from the 4 hadr-drives (Maxtor 80 GB with hydro-bearing) it’s almost completely silent (the pump is a magnetic-drive type, the heatsink is in fact 16 meters of copper tubbing without any fan.) About your concerns of running dry: there no need to worry if you have a Pentium 4, but to be on the safe side, just do has I did: I took an old heatsink that was lying around (but you can find them pretty easily): it’s an old Alpha 100x80x25mm with 7 mm base, I drilled two holes for the brass barbs and I screwed+artic-silver-epoxied it to the heat-exchanger. That way, if you have major leakage, your CPU won’t die; maybe freeze, but reboot and it will still be alive…
      What was necessary was done yesterday;
      We're currently working on the impossible;
      For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
      - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
      - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
      - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
      - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
      - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
      (Server)
      - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
      - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
      - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
      - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

I was using distilled water. Fortunately, when kablam happened, no real damage was done. Once I dried everything off, and dropped an air-cooler back on, everything was fine. It could have been much worse. Like what would have happened if I hadn't been there to turn the machine off before the Athlon ran for a while with no cooling.............

Comment

Working...
        X