OCing the Parhelia yet??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yup 275 mhz sounds really good heheh
    specs p4 2.8@3.2Ghz Giga byte xnpbla bla 2x80GbHD Raid 0 creative audigy iiyama vision master 502 (21inch) a logitech mx700
    video is ati 9700pro modded to 9800 speeds volt mod ect ect

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
      I think that's a little farther than I would want to take it.
      I just don't like the thought of hanging something that size off the chip.
      And I would want to run RAM sinks as well if I did it.
      If the CA is a decent cooler, this kit would probably work ok:
      http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/51/237.htm?479
      yeah, quite nice setup... Guess I'll have to delve back into the gpu oc'ing scene before i make a choice though...

Besides, it's at least 2 weeks before any card will start shipping, and with no oc'ing review, it's pure speculation on my part....

As for hanging it of the chip, it shouldn't be too hard to create/mod something to relieve the pressure... Some kind of metal tripod with plastic feet resting on the mobo, or something like that...

Comment

hehe
        if I had a perhelia, I could definetly fabricate a heatsink/fan combo of any dimension (I own a CNC fab shop). But alas (boohoo) I don't have a card yet
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Kits like that are good for replacing the stock cooling, but don't really help alot in OCed enviorments Kruzin. What about this Over kill, maybe, but it sure would kick some serious butt.

Image is from this article

Comment

Wooow! ehehe

How the guy handle the card on his system??

But for me, I'm interested in how much can the P overclocks WITHOUT any MOD on the card itself, just with a slot cooler, for example...
            <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
            <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

Use the Intel Retail P4 heatsinkfan: it will fitand only requires 2 adjacent PCI slots... no kidding, it's the first thing I'll do when I receive it.
              What was necessary was done yesterday;
              We're currently working on the impossible;
              For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
              - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
              - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
              - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
              - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
              - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
              (Server)
              - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
              - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
              - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
              - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Hi frankymail,

But the thing is that I'm USING the retail heatsink on my P4...
                <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
                <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

Anyone here know off the top of thier head how big of a heatsink will fit (on a typical card) blocking 1 PCI slot? 2?
                  I'm looking at a ThermalTake "1U server" P4 cooler. It's 24mm high, 30.7 cfm airflow, and all copper.
                  Mike

Comment

Looks like it could be possible to make a heatsink that covers both the GPU and the RAM chips. Only problem is that there might be a difference in height between the two.

A dream:

Someone with the right equipment measures the exact height difference between the GPU and the RAM chips and the area the HSF should cover. Then enters this info into one of those 3D-CAD proggies that are hooked up to a big machine thingy that can cut aluminium or cubber blocks to match the 3D model. In Denmark I think they are called CNC-cutters... dunno the English name.

I have seen it done for the nVidia GeFart cards over at [H] sometime.

Would a big ol' cubber heatsink with a highspeed 80mm fan suit your OC need's?

/Jake

EDIT: I see gtforty knows what I mean. Someone send him the measurements, plz! There might be some business headed your way gtforty....

Last edited by Jake; 27 June 2002, 00:34.
                    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
                    ----------------------
                    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

- I hope theres enough interest in the card for people to actually try and overclock it. I for one will. Add a nice Socket A heatsink and mimic the Alpha Card . I have 5 PCI slots and i only use slots 4 and 5. -
                      - ? -

Comment

Jake> Why don't you, or someone who's registered over at the Matrox forum ask? That info should be easily available...

It's a tempting idea to have one cooler for the entire card, but you'll need to fasten it... i sincerly doubt 2 screws will do the trick...

Comment

Guys, if you want the lowdown on coolers, there is but one place to look:

Dan has reviewed just about every major cooler you can think of, with photos, cooling specs, info on noise, and mounting. He has sections for Socket A, P4, Chipset, and GPU coolers as well. There are a few low-profile coolers there, some of which have pretty decent performance, and don't make horrible amounts of noise. There are also comparisons with various water-cooling rigs.

Of course, if we could get one of these on there.....

And all within AGP specs.......

Comment

Hi All:

The following was just posted by Haig:

Are the standards that Matrox had to comply to have anything to do with the slots next to the AGP slot? like space concerns for a larger HSF?

Yes.

2. Is the slower clock speed because of heat issues causing instability?

With the shipping hsf, yes.

------------------
                            Haig
                            Matrox Graphics Technical Support Manager

Well, this sounds to me like a case of compromise and IF you had sufficient space between the AGP and PCI slots and IF you have a good HSF, then you could OC perhaps to the original specifications???

A question for Haig (and others) was the card unstable at the original alpha clock speeds with the original HSF????????
                            Homebuilt Intel P3 933 Mhz, 512 Mb RAM, ASUS CUSL2-C MB, 400w TruePower Antec PS, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, WD 160 Gb Spec Ed HD, Yamaha 20x10x40 SCSI Rewritable, Toshiba 12x DVD, Parhelia 128 (replaced a G400MAX), Win XP Pro SP1 w/latest patches

Comment

That is pretty interesting considering I only have two PCI cards in my system ...
                              "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Interesting. It would be interesting to see how the Parhelia performs with one of these then:

That's the Bitspower NP18MCS, which according to Dan's site gets excellent cooling performance (close to that of some full-sized CPU coolers), isn't unreasonably loud, and is fairly low profile. It'd probably still need you to leave the next slot free, but it's designed for rack-mount, so it doesn't need much headroom to operate correctly........

Comment

Working...
                                X