Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walk down MATROX memory lane..... G200 to Parhelia (has anything really changed?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knirfie> Yes, quite a few of us have thought about it...
    If you check this thread you'll see some of the discussion...

The rest is in different threads regarding reviews...

Comment

slipknot
      I truely do understand your point...
      So, what would you have thought their correct actions would be?
      To not advertise the 3D features of this card at all?
      The card has capabilities in the 3D gaming market, clearly even by it's slow raw performance the card does posses quite abit of power to render...

I view the 3D Gaming market as a Marketing machine, as stated before the profit margins are so low because of high R&D costs..
      the Vid Companies use the Marketing that the 3D game scene generates to get their products into the mainstream PC market, or atleast their name into those markets...
      This way Lower priced and less capable card, and higher Profitable cards, sell and sell well because of the Exposure that the 3D game market created... Simple...

The other markets that Matrox is targeting don't get all that excited about new releases, the Market isn't as fanatical about the Hardware that runs under the hood... they are more concerned with it running and New Features that might help them increase productivity...
      by the MArketing splash created by the 3D gaming scene, there will be some ripple effect and their unique features will also be spread out, so that users who want such a thing will now know where to get it...

it's worked in the past for matrox, and I don't see why it won't work now...

Craig
      1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Take a look at this thread:

We can only guess at the moment, but I don't think that any deliberate deception or serious exaggeration has taken place. Although there is no doubt that the Parhelia is not producing the performance we were expecting, I think it's quite likely that Matrox themselves were expecting better performance prior to release. After all, Matrox is never prepared to discuss clock speeds, so we don't know what speed they originally expected the Parhelia to be released at. We all saw the alpha boards with the massive heatsink after all. If we can successfully overclock a Parhelia by around 30MHz, I think we can know for sure........

Comment

MrGaribaldi that is the thread that I created. I may seem like I'm being hard on matrox, but I'm still holding out hope that the chip will make it through the storm.

Comment

He He The Perfect Storm:
            ATi closing in from the left,
            Nvidia closing in from the right,
            and SiS closing in from above!!!!

Could it be?
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Maybe we can convince matrox to offer the HSF from the alpha board on their store site or get them to tell us of some manufacturers of HSF, that will fit on the Parhelia using the two holes.

Now the hard part would be getting them to admit the original speeds.
              I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by piaxVirus
                Now the hard part would be getting them to admit the original speeds.
                I think that is out the Q...

But Haig stated here that we should get 20Mhz out of the core...

Too bad anymore requires modding the card :angry:
                whilst I may be stupid enough to oc the card straight out of the wrapping, no way am I going to mod a 400$ to get more voltage!

Comment

Originally posted by piaxVirus
                  Maybe we can convince matrox to offer the HSF from the alpha board on their store site or get them to tell us of some manufacturers of HSF, that will fit on the Parhelia using the two holes.
                  The pictures of the Alpha boards didn't look like the cooler they were using was particularly great, and they probably modified the boards (not the HSF) to fit them. The coolers on the Alpha boards looked like fairly average Aluminium coolers, which can be matched in performance by the slightly hoopier low-profile coolers. Take a look here:

for some examples. (Ignore the weirdo water-cooled board). Without knowing the exact size/performance of the coolers on the Alpha boards, I'd still assume that the mini-copper cooler could match its performance, and be 1/2 to 1/3 of the size. Of course, that's a pretty big assumption, so there's every chance I'm right up the creek here

Comment

There is now talk of the NV30 being pushed back until 2003.

This little quote really concerns me.

We got word yesterday that that the NV30 GPU had come back from the fab on a .15 micron architecture instead of the planned .13 micron. It has been rumored that this could certainly effect NVIDIA launching a part that will be competitive with the ATi R300 which has already had almost three months to mature.
                    If Nvidia realized that the .13 micron process was a no go for the NV30 and they tried to switch back to the .15 micron process. They would most likely not cut out a lot of the features and would have a very large die. Larger then the R300. That itself is very problematic.

Funny how the manufacturer that started this whole 6 month cycle. May not even release a new card within a year of it's previous.
                    I should have bought an ATI.

Comment

Working...
                    X