Parhelia and Widescreen Resolution Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Paul :

Thanks for all the help. I tried adding the lines to the 226 drivers as you suggestd, but unfortunately, the Parhelia still cannot see any widescreen resolutions. The monitor INF is installed properly, but the Parhelia simply cannot see these widescreen drivers. Maybe the hardware physically CAN'T run these? I don't see why it couldn't, but this is certainly confusing.

Considering a lot of workstation class users use widescreen monitors, I'm very surprised that there is no support for this right out of the box. I know John Carmack and the entire id Software team all use widescreen monitors..

*frustrating!*

Comment

Are you using 2000 or XP, Warped?
      <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Hi Ryu :

XP Pro.

I'm forced to use the Sony INF files for Windows 2000, because Sony doesn't have support for XP and this monitor yet.

I figured this might be part of the problem, but of course, nVidia's Ti4600 has absolutely no problem with widescreen resolutions in XP.

Comment

Hi warped,

I'm running XP Pro as well and managed to edit the mtxparh file to add the 1280 x 960 support.

I'm using the WN2000.inf file from Sony as well. And that file is dated 5/2000 which is about due for an update

I'm at work now but can send you a copy of the edited file later this evening.

I haven't played with this much but have you tried using the windows default monitor in XP to see if 1600 x 1080 is supported????
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Matrox always had the absolute best custom resolutions support, there wasn't even need for 3rd party apps - what's happening here? Is it just me or was parhelia rushed out the door?

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I had a trick to suggest, but it's not possible in XP.

I have noticed Sony INF updates on Windows Update if you haven't already tried that.
              <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

You may want to try registry editing, but as always, it is a bit risky. In the past a few rather odd situations have forced me to use the registry to set my display resolution and refresh rate. However, this was back in the days on Win95/98. The keys are still there in win2k, can't recall if they are there in XP, since I haven't done that in awhile. I think Powerstrip manipulates the registry in the way that I did by hand, and is probably safer. My guess is that powerstrip will be able to fix the problem.

Comment

Or maybe find another monitor with the same aspect ratio, and use its driver

Oh, and post your problem at the Matrox Tech Support forums, just to let them know there are users besides Paul and Mac'ers who use 16:10 screens

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Here's the edited file that will add 1280 x 960 support.

mxtparh.zip

Paul
                    Last edited by ALBPM; 1 July 2002, 19:53.
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hi Paul :

Thanks for the modified inf file. It does indeed allow for 1280 x 960 support, but than again, 1280 x 960 isn't widescreen.

Although, can I ask how you added this resolution support? If you were able to add this resolution, maybe I can add 1600 x 1024 support.

Thanks!

Comment

I just had to uncomment the lines for 1280 x 960.

All the other resolutions we are lacking are there in the file but we with the 24" Sonys cannot accesss them.

Something is screwy here because 1280 x 960 is "not" supported by the GDM-FW900 inf file yet we can now use it. But we can't use other modes like 1600 x 1024 which I prefer for my desktop.

The inf files are a bit different for Parhelia than the old Power Desk inf files for the G550, G450 and G400.

The [AddReg.Modes] parts are different but the [AddReg.VidParms] part is the same.

Here are the files for WNXP in case some one knows how to edit the Parhelia file to get it to work like the older G550 .inf file.

Parhelia mtxparh.inf

G550.inf

And here is the Sony inf file for the GDM-FW900:

GDM-FW900 inf file

Paul
                        Last edited by ALBPM; 2 July 2002, 04:08.

Comment

Now that the folks in Canada are back at work today (I swear they get more holidays than U.S. Govt. employees), we have an answer.

This is a known issue with the current Parhelia drivers. It should be resolved within the next few driver releases.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thank You!!,Thank You!!,Thank You!!,Thank You!!,Thank You!!,Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                            X