G400 Anisotropic filtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Anisotropic filtering

Was curious, so I cranked up 3D WinBench 2k and got three pictures showing how well/bad the G400 does with anisotropic filtering. These were at 1600x1200x32, and are png compressed to preserve quality. Here's a few small clippings of the original pictures:

With anisotropic on:

With normal mipmapping:

Without any mipmapping:
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 4 July 2002, 16:37.

How do you enable/disable anisotropic filtering on the g400 cards?

Comment

Put this into your registry... if ya don't know how, don't try.

[edit] Oh, Win9x only too, not sure what the 2k/XP version would be. [/edit]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Class\Display\0000\Settings\DirectX]
      "Anisotropic"="1"

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 10 July 2002, 15:27.

Comment

What's the performance hit like ?
        "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

At 800x600x32, 22.6 fps with trilinear and 17.4 with anisotropic. Turn AA on and it starts looking really nice, but REALLY slow, 5.1 fps.

Comment

I tried that registry tweak some months ago, and anisotropic worked in Serious Sam 2, but it's so slooooow !

Just a way to waste time and have fun with the ol' dirty g400 , but nowadays you can play only with bilinear filtering ( Only one exception: Soul Reaver 2 ran fine at 1024x768, 16 or 32 bit, trilinear ! g400 vanilla 188-188 )

Comment

I remeber the aniso functioning visually very well with my G400MAX in Hi-Volt, but the performance hit was already more than acceptable..
              <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
              <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

You probably mean Revolt (the RCcar racing game)

Comment

Originally posted by P5ycho
                  You probably mean Revolt (the RCcar racing game)
                  Sorry!

You got that right... great game...
                  <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="1">"Dadinho o C@r@$, meu nome agora � Z� Pequeno" - City Of God</font></p>
                  <p><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="1">A64 @ 2,25 + 1GB + GT6600</font> </p>

Comment

A little present for you:

I tested anisotropic filtering of my vanilla G400 using Serious Sam 2: image quality is very high...but see with your own eyes

1024x768, 32 bpp, max detail

NO MIPMAP

BILINEAR FILTERING

TRILINEAR FILTERING

ANISOTROPIC FILTERING ( 4x )
                    Last edited by franklar; 9 July 2002, 12:03.

Comment

Working...
                    X