No announcement yet.

Modded my Parhelia.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USe Carb cleaner to remove the Glue... Forget the ram sinks unless you have a window with disco lights. Cool ram is going to perform any better.

Comment

Sorry, but you are wrong.
      RAM, like any other CMOS technology, is adversely effected by heat, and cooling it may very well help it perform at higher clock speeds.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Plus if they're running warm even at stock speeds it'll surely help the chips live longer.

Comment

I don't see much benefit in ramcooling as I expect the P not been bandwith limited, but I don't know that for sure before testing it offcourse, looking forward to the rebirth of MGA-tweak
          P4 2,4@2,6 AsusP4T-533 C 512 mb PC 1066 Quantum Atlas 10KII SCSI ATI R9700

Comment

Originally posted by frankymail
            I now have the coolest screen saver around (reef demo) ...
            Hmm,

I started a whole post on the screensaver isue, how did you get the demo to run as a Screensaver, or do you mean that you just manually run it whenever you aren't actually using the PC??

Thanks
            Life is a ride
            Like days on a train
            Cities rush by
            Like ghosts in the night

Comment

Either make a copy of the executable and rename it from .exe to .scr, or make a batch file that continously runs the demo.

Anyway, when i'm going away more than 10 mins, I always turn off my screens... good habitude I guess.
              What was necessary was done yesterday;
              We're currently working on the impossible;
              For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
              - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
              - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
              - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
              - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
              - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
              (Server)
              - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
              - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
              - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
              - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Originally posted by frankymail
                Either make a copy of the executable and rename it from .exe to .scr
                I doubt this would work, as the demo is not just an executable, it is an entire directory, with a sub-directory, and more subdirectories under that, and many files.
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

If someone's feeling ambitious (and has the tools) it shouldn't be terribly hard to write a little screensaver that fires up the reef demo.
                  OTOH, I suppose there's always the chance you'll have to implement a 50+ function interface to get it to work right with XP.
                  I'd take a crack at it but I don't have an appropriate compiler.
                  Mike

Comment

Is turning the screens off & on repeatedly (several times a day) really good for their health? I've heard this isn't the best option, so when I leave my PC now I just let it on and wait for it to go into standby mode - or would the "dark screen" screensaver be even better, with sync and all still on, but no bright colors on the screen?

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

my dirty little secret is that i have a crappy monitor with bad shielding, so it F**k's up my tv reception when it's on. So I turn mine off when i step away.

I would also like to know if this is bad.
                      (not that i wouldn't mind a new monitor, but if i get a new one befor this one breaks then i can use it for surround gaming!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                        Well...I finally modded my Parhelia a bit. So much for using PCI-1 :-)
                        Sorry, but I cannot post any benches or settings as the DD build I'm using isn't public and under NDA.....but I will say that it was well worth the effort

Dr. Mordrid
                        Nice work on the Parhelia mod bud but why are you still under an NDA even after the intitial product has been shipped out to the mass public? OC that bad boy and show those number when yo can heheee.
                        Last edited by APEXNETHOR; 8 July 2002, 21:17.
                        Hardcore PC gamer with a sweet tooth for EXTREME eye candy!

Comment

Dr M, its all about priorities, you have several case fans, why not plug them in the drive power connector, and then use one of the monitered headers for your parhelia...no biggy but I would rather moniter a video card fan than a case fan

And with all this modding going on,..there must be a beta matrox overclocking utility bing tested

ETA parhelia 64M anyone?

Comment

Dr. Mordrid is a Matrox beta tester and is under a completely different NDA ie much more info flows to/much more restrictive in what we can say.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

yeah I know, but I must of got close on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                                And with all this modding going on,..there must be a beta matrox overclocking utility bing tested ...
                                I came to the same conclusion and had just posted as much on the AVS forum. I'm hoping the MTSTU will soon allow them to set up custom resolutions so they can test the P in their HTPCs.
                                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                                X