FanBoy Got his Parhelia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FanBoy Got his Parhelia

Well I got my Parhelia just installed about 5 minutes ago...thankfully no buggered up desktop like the Ant and Isochar. I haven't had a chance to try it out in any games yet, but so far theres a much better image Quaitly vs the Radeon 8500 I had in before..so much that I need to clean the damn screen! One question though...what are the best setting for font smoothing in XP and the Matrox drivers? Should I run cleartype option in XP?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Cool fire up that virgin Parhelia and post some overclocking numbers when you can bud hehee.
      Hardcore PC gamer with a sweet tooth for EXTREME eye candy!

Comment

Well been playing around with various games and only two dissapointments so far. UT2K3 seems to run a bit slower then what the Radeon 8500 could do and GTA3 with its infamous graphical slow downs that are a known issue on other cards. I'm not worried about the two above since one is leaked beta and the other is coding disaster.

On the other Hand, America's Army runs MUCH better on the Parhelia then the R8500 I had in. SOF2 runs faster then the R8500 being bumped up from 1024x768 to 1280x1024. RTCW also runs much smoother and supports ATI TrueForm (though I never noticed much difference with that game with in enabled on the R8500). Only game I really benched was UT and at 16x12 with FAAx16 on and gigacolor I was running in the 90s on the Deck16 Map. I was really doubting the Parhelia when I saw the first reveiws, but with my short time spent with it I'm VERY impressed by it and I'm not just compairing the numbers that a FPS counter spits out.

Comment

are you saying the parhelia supports ATIs truform opengl extension?

I know the hardware can do it, but I thought it was a propertary(sp?) extension, and that they had to pay ATI to use it.
          Last edited by TdB; 9 July 2002, 17:56.
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

I thought you could enable TruForm in RTCW no matter what card you had, but that it wouldn't do anything unless you had a card that actually supported TruForm.
            System Specs:
            Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
            May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
            Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
            And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
            just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
            For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

That is not correct.

The truform option doesn't appear in other Cards.

At least it didn't with a Geforce 3 Ti500

Comment

The Parhelia OpenGL ICD doesn't have the GL_ATI_pn_triangles extension, so I don't think it can do Truform right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Bob
                  That is not correct.

The truform option doesn't appear in other Cards.

At least it didn't with a Geforce 3 Ti500
                  It seems to appear on my roommate's GF2...? We have a ripped copy though. But enabling it doesn't do anything.
                  System Specs:
                  Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
                  May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
                  Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
                  And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
                  just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
                  For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by TDB

I know the hardware can do it, but I thought it was a propertary(sp?) extension, and that they had to pay ATI to use it.
                    IANAL, but OpenGL is open - ie every driver can support propriety extension if they wish to.

Its the technology they licence, not the API's
                    "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                    Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                    DriverHeaven administrator
                    PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

GT98, could you please go into more detail about how the image quality is superior to your radeon

I'm getting a video card soon
                      THanks

Comment

Originally posted by Exonoesis
                        GT98, could you please go into more detail about how the image quality is superior to your radeon

I'm getting a video card soon
                        THanks
                        Well overall the desktop seems to more crisp and the color better defined. In Games FAA totally kicks ass and overall the gamma was much better in SOF2 then compaired to the Radeon. The games I played where overall more "smooth" then the radeon (save UT2K3, though I bumped up the min FPS to 45 and it ran a bit better ) and didn't have that jerkness that you get some times with games.

Comment

GT98, have you tried out any DVDs yet, some review was saying that the Radeon8500 had better quality is this true? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X