No announcement yet.

Ahh, finally a GOOD Parhelia review ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahh, finally a GOOD Parhelia review ;)

I would like you guys being Matrox users to check out my review of the parhelia on AthlonXP.com

I am going to be doing a followup article on it, and your feedback is very valuable to me as...well you are more avid users and appreciate the image quality.

I also hope you appreciate the trouble I went through to capture that difference in image quality....no one else that reviewed the Parhelia did.

Copy N paste

Last edited by DedicatedFan3D; 23 July 2002, 10:27.
    I am the 1 and the 0, the bit and the byte.
    No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

You obviously liked the card.
    It's nice to see a review that isn't based solely on frame rates.
    Image quality and features are important selling points to those not interested in a pure gaming rig, and this is a viewpoint most other reviews from gaming sites have been lacking.

It's good that you pointed out that you where able to play a DVD on more than just the primary monitor, but that could be clarified a little more by pointing out that Parhelia does hardware overlay on both the primary and secondary display, with software overlay on the tertiary. Other single-chip multi-monitor cards do not do overlays on anything but the primary display.

All in all, I thought it was a good review that showed the cards strongest points.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Upon inspection you will find that the RAM has no heat sinks on it. Matrox has opted for Infineon 3.3ns DDRDRAM running at only 275Mhz. The Parhelia achieves the high bandwidth it needs by addressing the memory at 512 bits.
      The bus to the memory is only 256bit...
      The GPU works internaly at 512bit..
      <font size="1">Game system: P4 1.8@2.4 - Asus P4S533 - 512 MB DDR333 - 30Gb IBM hd - AOpen Geforce 3 Ti200 - 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900SL plus
      Work computer: IBM ThinkPad T23 - 1,13GHz Intel P3 - 640Mb Ram - 30Gb hd - S3 Savage.
      Server: 566 MHz Celeron - 640Mb SDRAM - 130Gb hd space - Matrox G100</font>

Comment

It's 256 DDR, which is a "theoretical" 512bit.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

some of the 3dmark benchmarks are a little confusing, I think you are posting the same benches twice.
          This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

First paragraph:

"...uncovered that it is indeed an image quality piece of hardware delivering the best image on the market,..."

should be:

"...uncovered that it is indeed a quality piece of hardware delivering the best image on the market,..."

As far as Ive got so far.

Comment

Also:
              "Notice the Chrontel RAMDACS. There are two 10-bit RAMDACS on the PCB as noticed here"

They arnt RAMDACs, they are the DVI controller chips. Look here:

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
                It's 256 DDR, which is a "theoretical" 512bit.
                Hmmm... havn't hered that before...
                I know when we are talking Memory speed then DDR 600MHz are actually running at 300MHz, but they are sending data 2 times pr clock (Double DRAM), therfore 600MHz compared to SDRAM..

But bus width.... we have always been talking about that the cards are running 128bit and now Parhelia, Radeon 9700 and 3Dlabs P10 are using 256bit memory bus'es...
                <font size="1">Game system: P4 1.8@2.4 - Asus P4S533 - 512 MB DDR333 - 30Gb IBM hd - AOpen Geforce 3 Ti200 - 19" Samsung SyncMaster 900SL plus
                Work computer: IBM ThinkPad T23 - 1,13GHz Intel P3 - 640Mb Ram - 30Gb hd - S3 Savage.
                Server: 566 MHz Celeron - 640Mb SDRAM - 130Gb hd space - Matrox G100</font>

Comment

Just finnished. (had to go work for a while).

Good review. I liked the part where you talk about it in real use.

I find the Less heat output bullet point in the Pros to be odd though. I havent used one so I dont know, but it seems with everybody putting great big fans/heatsinks onto them that it would produce lots of heat.

Ali

Comment

Interestingly, Matrox reps confirmed what we posted as the RAMDACS

Not sure tho, but looking into it. Also I was made aware of the memory addressing, looking into that as well.
                    Last edited by DedicatedFan3D; 23 July 2002, 19:23.
                    No computer is unbendable to my will, as hacking is not so much skill as psychology. Much like the lawmaker and the money that drives him to do as anyone would wish with it.

Comment

On the heat output, the memory is not as hot as the GeForce4's heatsinks are......

Plus the back of the core is very easy to touch.
                      Last edited by DedicatedFan3D; 23 July 2002, 19:25.

Comment

The Parhelia uses a 256-bits DDR bus running at 275 MHz; that means that 512-bits are read/wrote each 275-millionth of a second; you sometimes see 275 MHz DDR/550 MHZ effective; both ways are correct ways to simplify the concept. The real thing that in Parhelia's case, 256-bits are read/wrote at the rise of the clock signal, and 256-bits are read/wrtoe at the fall of the signal, that 275 millions times a second.
                        What was necessary was done yesterday;
                        We're currently working on the impossible;
                        For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
                        - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
                        - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
                        - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
                        - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
                        - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
                        (Server)
                        - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
                        - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
                        - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
                        - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

Just checked the numbers on the chips. I think Im right.

Matrox has stated that there is one external RAMDAC for the third monitor, but that 2 internal 400Mhz RAMDACs are used for 1st and 2nd head. The TMDS (or whatever the acronym is for the DVI controllers) are external.

Anyway, looking at your picture of the Parhelia called Parhellia_Front.jpg the mystery chip is pressent. At the top of the board, in between the two banks of angled RAM chips there is a chip that isnt pressent ont he retail boards. Could you possibly show a close up shot of that chip please? Or failing that the chip manufacturer and part number so we can find out more info about it.

Its probably a VIVO type chip, otherwise there is no point to the PIS2 of the Parhelia chip. Im guessing Matrox are keeping their options open about a Marvel type product.

Ali

Edit: typos
                          Last edited by Ali; 23 July 2002, 20:22.

Comment

if that picture is accurate, it has a chrontel chip, model CH7??1A-T

that being said, Chrontel does not list such a chip on their website.

also, the memory and chrontel TMDS chips are blacked out, leading me to believe it is more of a marketing pic. not sure what that chip would be then.

edit: they list a chip that matches the CH7??1 part number, but not the A-T part of it, especially with what i think those two inner numbers say... it looks like a CH72?1A-T to me, but there is no 72x1 listed on their website... hmm...
                            Last edited by DGhost; 23 July 2002, 21:19.
                            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It's very hard to tell from the picture, but I think the chip model is CH7301, a DVI transmitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X