Parhelia review at Aces!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoted from az:
    It's like saying "yeah, my car is slower, but if it had more horsepower, it would have been faster".
    On the other hand, IF my car HAD more horsepower, it would have been faster, no?

Umf
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

"No" No! No?

Comment

I need 60fps to really be competitive in most online deathmatch games.
        Then you obviously aren't that good. I know people with modem connections who have had to limited their fps rate to less than 30 fps and they still kick everyones ass. Online gaming performance has nothing to do with fps but with skill.

Ask Kruzin if you don't believe me.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel

Then you obviously aren't that good. I know people with modem connections who have had to limited their fps rate to less than 30 fps and they still kick everyones ass. Online gaming performance has nothing to do with fps but with skill.

Ask Kruzin if you don't believe me.

Joel
          Ever tried shooting someone whos on a slow machine. One minute they're stood in front of you not moving at all while you're shooting them. The next minute they're halfway across the room. Or if the server is shit you're pressing fire and nothing is happening.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Those are symptoms of a bad server or slow internet connection, and have nothing to do with the video card's frame rates.

Anyone who thinks they "HAVE" to have 60 fps minimum framerate to play any game is fooling themselves, and has been sucked in by nVidiot marketing and fps counting web sites.
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

ey kruzin, I bought that plextor combo too

It really rocks

ps. I didn't want to buy a new writer, but , my 4/2/20 plextor died this weekend. I couldn't only write 85% of a cd... bummer
              Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Yea, it's a great drive.
                Burns a 700meg CD in about 5 min, and has yet to make a single coaster in the couple months I've had it.
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Ok Joel you can go ahead and takes shots at me, I'm big enough to take them.

And you know what else? You're right I'm not that good. I need to have a fast machine to stay competitive with everyone else. Oh and guess what, all the best Quake/HL/UT players in the world only play on Falcon Northwest or equivalent PC's. I think that says alot.

Kruzin just because the new Matrox card can't sustain a minimum of 60fps doesn't mean I, or anyone else has been "sucked" in to any marketing hype. I've been around the game long enough to know whats what. Like I said 45fps is right on the border or what I would consider the minimum for smooth and enjoyable play. 60fps is right in the sweet spot.
                  Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Sorry, but I simply don't buy that.
                    I can show your screen shots of scoreboards where I trounced the competition from all the way back to my G200/dial up connection when I limited myself to a meager 20fps, and I still whooped on LPBs with faster cards, and had a very enjoyable time doing it.
                    IMO, anything higher than a sustained 30fps is good for nothing but bragging.
                    Gaming is 99% skillz. If you aint got em, you aint got em...

Comment

This is kind of fun to watch.

Hey kids, I forget, after recess do we have gym or art today. or was it music...

System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

BTW, I'm just having fun with you all. Please don't take any insult...

CEM
                        System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

Hell, a few years ago, 30fps was considered the 'standard' for being able to play a game fuidly.
                          It only went up to 60fps so that you could have a good average.
                          If u can hit 60, then the average can't be much lower.
                          45fps is plenty.

if u want high fps, get mame and try to play Space Harrier @ 4x the normal speed. i did, and beat the game.
                          (Couldn't see much tho, just panicked for 35 mins, and then it was all over.
                          tyhe last levels were like a blur...)

Quite a lot of people who can play games very well, don't have a spanking machine either. Not top notch anyway.
                          Maybe its because they don't stare at the textures cos they have reduced them to get more fps...

my pinch of salt, and i diverged.
                          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

anything below 30 fps, isn't much fun of playing anymore.
                            but you don't need 300 fps eather
                            But the point is that cards that do now 300 fps (like quake 3) will do great in future games.

anyway if you can get 60 fps , and a minimum of 30 , its good enough.

and didn't say mr babyface carmack that when the first show/demo/blabla of doom III(when GF3 was released first on Apple) that with the GF3 you would be able to play at 30 fps with most features on at a resolution 800x600?

give matrox some slack, so they can mature the drivers

oh yeah, for single player FPS isn't that important, its with the multiplayer thats important, again you don't need 300 fps
                            60 - 100 will be enough

about the 9700 with their pixelshaders 2.0 interesting eh, and nice wow effect. But tell me something, GF3 has pixelshaders 1.1, GF4 1.3 and the 8500 has 1.3 . And how many games do have pixelshaders in their engine ?
                            ehh let me think, NWO (not NWN) and eehhh, nope can't think of any other. Was thinking about unreal 2003, but not sure if it had pixelshaders in it.

oh I read somewhere that doom3 will support pixelshaders 2.0, interesting one game will support it, ONE. yeeeha, sigh
                            Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Figure I'll chime in before recess....
                              If your average is 45fps, you are certainly not going to keep a frame rate above 30 if you get into a firefight with a few guys, drop 2 or so frames with a decent opponient and he's either behind you or already killed you...

Sure I've killed lesser players with my G200, and it really fustrated the other players... but I always tried to stay out of close combat unless I knew I had the suprise on my side...

it's the Min frame rate that matters, I'll agree that over 30 isn't all that important...

Craig
                              Last edited by Stringy; 26 July 2002, 07:16.
                              1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

A fast machine will make a good player better, and a poor player average...
                                Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Working...
                                X