No announcement yet.

Parhelia review at Aces!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good review again by Ace's HW. Those guys rock!

Insulting Mod's are so out of touch. Please there is no need for this behavior.

THE DELPHI TECHNIQUE

How to achieve a workable consensus within time limits

by Lynn Stuter

The Delphi Technique was originally conceived as a way to obtain the opinion of experts without necessarily bringing them together face to face. In Educating for the New World Order by Bev Eakman, the reader finds reference upon reference for the need to preserve the illusion that there is "Lay, or community, participation in the decision­making process), while in fact lay citizens are being squeezed out."

A specialized use of this technique was developed for teachers, the "Alinsky Method" (ibid., p. 123). The setting or group is, however, immaterial the point is that people in groups tend to share a certain knowledge base and display certain identifiable characteristics (known as group dynamics). This allows for a special application of a basic technique. The "change agent" or "facilitator" goes through the motions of acting as an organizer, getting each person in the target group to elicit expression of their concerns about a program, project, or policy in question. The facilitator listens attentively, forms "task forces," "urges everyone to make lists," and so on. While she is doing this, the facilitator learns something about each member of the target group. He/she identifies the "leaders," the "loud mouths," as well as those who frequently turn sides during the argument ­ the "weak or non­committal."

Suddenly, the amiable facilitator becomes "devil's advocate." He/she dons his professional agitator hat. Using the "divide and conquer" technique, he/she manipulates one group opinion against the other. This is accomplished by manipulating those who are out of step to appear "ridiculous, unknowledgeable, inarticulate, or dogmatic." He/she wants certain members of the group to become angry, thereby forcing tensions to accelerate. The facilitator is well trained in psychological manipulation. S/He is able to predict the reactions of each group member. Individuals in opposition to the policy or program will be shut out of the group.

The method works. It is very effective with parents, teachers, school children, and any community group. The "targets" rarely, if ever, know that they are being manipulated. If they do suspect this is happening, they do not know how to end the process. The desired result is for group polarization, and for the facilitator to become accepted as a member of the group and group process. He/she will then throw the desired idea on the table and ask for opinions during discussion. Very soon his/her associates from the divided group begin to adopt the idea as if it were their own, and pressure the entire group to accept the proposition.

This technique is a very unethical method of achieving consensus on a controversial topic in group settings. It requires well­trained professionals who deliberately escalate tension among group members, pitting one faction against the other, so as to make one viewpoint appear ridiculous so the other becomes "sensible" whether such is warranted or not.

"so as to make one viewpoint appear ridiculous so the other becomes "sensible" whether such is warranted or not."

Trust me, its not warranted.
    Last edited by Afronaut; 26 July 2002, 17:08.

Comment

hey guys, I was wondering how many fps you need
      I used the game Counter-strike and the command fps_max
      for setting the fps limit.

standard I play it at 85 fps
      So I set it at 30 fps. First I thing I thought was damn, it looks blurrier, fast aiming was a little harder too.

but at 30 fps it was really blurry when ya moved fast (fast turning etc)
      I set it at 40 its a bit better, but still not that good
      50 again a bit better
      when I set it at 60 it got back like it should be, sharper image when you turn fast.

So I think that you need 60 fps in multiplayer, if yur used to it.
      Going lower than 40 it really degrades the image quality.

Now I don't think u need the 60 fps in Single player games, but it matters in multiplayer.

But I was wondering, maybe its my Elsa GF3 ti200 that is the cause of the bad image quality .

so If someone with a parhelia can test this (in counter-strike)
      Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Having used the Parhelia for two whole days I can say that I am just a tad disappointed by it's performance in Counter-Strike. On my Athlon 1800+, it is not uncommon for it do dive down to 20 (sometimes even lower) FPS when 4 or 5 people are visible on screen at the same time. I'm not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong with my computer, or if it is something special about CS that makes it perform so incredibly bad, but seeing as the P can play the 3Dmark2001-demos in well above 100 FPS, and the HL-engine used in CS is quite a bit older, I'm pretty sure it's a driver problem.

Anyway, back to your question; doing the tests you suggests is rather hard because of these FPS-jumps. Getting 60FPS is easy (looking into a wall helps with no person on screen), but when it's time to battle, when the FPS really counts, it drops down to 20-25.

Comment

damn, not so good
          It better be a driver problem
          because with my card overclocked from 175 to 220 I can get 85 fps all the time

but thx for info
          Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Originally posted by CaineTanathos
            hey guys, I was wondering how many fps you need
            I used the game Counter-strike and the command fps_max
            for setting the fps limit.

standard I play it at 85 fps
            So I set it at 30 fps. First I thing I thought was damn, it looks blurrier, fast aiming was a little harder too.

but at 30 fps it was really blurry when ya moved fast (fast turning etc)
            I set it at 40 its a bit better, but still not that good
            50 again a bit better
            when I set it at 60 it got back like it should be, sharper image when you turn fast.

So I think that you need 60 fps in multiplayer, if yur used to it.
            Going lower than 40 it really degrades the image quality.

Yep I find the same thing...It is much easier to play at the higher framerates. Although I don't see how IQ is affected at slower framerates. Shouldn't that always be the same?
            Last edited by Maniac; 30 July 2002, 11:55.
            Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Working...
            X