Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News about P OpenGL drivers

from here:
    ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.

Matrox's TripleHead multi-display technology seemed to be turning some heads as content creators cruised through Matrox's booth. SoftImage XSI, the latest version of this 3D modeling and animation tool was running on three displays, with one for a wire-frame view of a model, another screen for tools and palettes, and the third running the fully rendered image. Matrox is currently preparing its fully qualified OpenGL driver for an early fall release, and unlike its competition, there won't be a higher-priced "ParheliaGL" variant of Parhelia, but rather a single Parhelia offering that will ship with Matrox's qualified GL driver in the box. Current Parhelia owners will be able to download this driver from Matrox's site once it goes final. In this market space, Parhelia's $400 price-point is actually very reasonable for DCC houses, and its feature set better compensates for the fact that Parhelia's 3D performance, while good, won't be industry-leading in this market segment.

Matrox also mentioned that future Parhelia releases were in the works, although company officials wouldn't go into specifics. It's reasonable to assume that Matrox will be looking to goose up Parhelia's flagging clock rate, and if the company is able to move Parhelia to 0.13-micron process technology, the clock speed increase could push Parhelia toward the 275-300MHz clock range.

Ali

I said it before:
    a 400$ GPU with pro-certified opengl drivers is very cheap, AFAIK, the price for such GPUs is usually around 600$-800$.

and if the 350$ 64mb version isn´t performing worse, then it is almost ridiculessly cheap.
    Last edited by TdB; 26 July 2002, 16:42.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Though I don't use any professional openGL programs, I think that these are great news!
      Specs:
      MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

well, neither do I.
        but matrox deserves credit for not screwing their costumers by asking extremly high prices for nothing more than a driver package.

I wonder how this will effect nvidia and ati...

besides this illustrates, how versatile parhelia is. I actually consider parhelia a very good all-around card, is there anything(apart from capturing), the parhelia isn´t aimed at?
        Last edited by TdB; 26 July 2002, 17:11.
        This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

This is very good news fully qualified OpenGL drivers will help Matrox to sel more Parhelia

Even beter that we can download this for free

Comment

These is great news.

Parhelia hit local stores (noticed it today) and bulk is priced on par with Gainward GF4 Ti4400. Seems reasonable.

Now I only need a new rig and couple of monitors.

Comment

Ive been thinking about this over night. Seems like Matrox wants to finally get rid of their bad rep over openGL drivers that they have had since G200 days.

This seems like the best, and possibly only way for them to do that.

Ali

Comment

Parhelia hit local stores (noticed it today) and bulk is priced on par with Gainward GF4 Ti4400. Seems reasonable.
                Had a wander down Tottenham Court Road today (where all the teccie shops are in London, UK), and drew some interesting conclusions:

Most shops were only selling Creative GF4's - Ti's and MX's.

Some added a Radeon (of some description) and a Matrox G-series card or two.

A couple had a more extensive range - and included Parhelias for between £ 369 and £ 389 including VAT (which is 17.5% here). Which was about 40 or 50 quid more than a GF4Ti4600 or full Radeon 8500.

And most shops knew virtually nothing about graphics cards. Makes me wonder how big the retail market for them actually is...

Hope Matrox has plenty of OEM deals lined up.

gnep
                DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                X