Parhelia experiences (lengthy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia experiences (lengthy)

Alright... i got my P last friday, and have a bunch of comments/thoughts/experiences with it...

first thing i have to say is so far i love the card...

I switched over to the P from a Radeon 8500, so i am gonna refer to the differences a lot through out this...

many people have said that image quality is better... with the monitors i have right now, i did not notice a difference (they also only run at the fairly low res of 1280x1024@60hz) in the standard desktop. however, as soon as i fired up a game it became very obvious which one was the clear winner. same thing when i started watching a DVD. the P does have significantly better color representation than the 8500 does, at least in my opinion. colors in general seem to be a lot brighter than what they used to be.

performance seems to be better than the 8500, except in a few places. most noticably the P seems to have lots of performance problems with stencil shadows enabled in OpenGL stuff. this is noticable in both JK2 and NWN. plays fine with everything else maxed out (and is smmmmmmoooooootttttthhhhh), but as soon as you enable shadows both drop through the floor. Morrowind was quite smooth, with the exception of being inside a city. that probably has to do with the processors in my system more than anything.

stability of the card is very good. the only time my system would hard lock was when my normal OpenGL screen saver was running and it tried to shut the monitor off.

Dual-Head on it is fantastic. this is probably the best single-card multi-mon implementation i have ever used. the picture quality on the second monitor is as good as if it was the only monitor on the card. typical matrox flawlessness. any app i full screened on the second head (or even had it windowed on the full head) would not stutter or skip or pause due to anything happening on the first head. In XP especially, i have noticed it has a tendancy to cause things to skip if GUI acceleration is enabled and you pull up the start menu, or say if you scroll an IE window really fast. Did not happen at all on the Parhelia. This card will definately be great when Longhorn rolls around.

the only problems i had with programs not running correctly was with Podracer and Milkdrop. Podracer only works in Windows XP when multimonitor stuff is disabled (totally disabled, cannot have the second monitor in the display control panels), and even then it just renders a white screen in game. With Milkdrop, if you try to make it render to the second monitor, it brings up errors about not having enough video memory to do it correctly. both monitors were at 1280x1024 and in gigicolor. also, while in gigicolor, Milkdrop will not render to the desktop correctly. you either end up with a green screen or with a black screen, depending on which mode you overlay with. everything else i have tried so far runs fine, except a couple OpenGL apps that run a little slower than they should.

My impressions on the drivers is pretty poor. i really do not like having to reboot to change just about any setting. Also, the PowerDesk-HF app reaks of something the driver team threw together in order to adjust the card and someone decided that it should ship with it. the fact that only option that the systray icon has is to launch powerdesk-hf is quite annoying. it does not do anything useful. and the control panel addition is just a button that says "Matrox Powerdesk-HF" and a description of how to open the program through other means. absolutely worthless. i would much rather have the old, traditional PowerDesk software to control a card than this stuff. it offered (so far) much more control and ease of use than this stuff.

hmm, what else beyond that...

FAA is dead sexy.

Serious Sam 2 with everything maxed out on a P is dead sexy.

i do really love the P so far, it is an impressive card. most of my problems with the card are because of the fact it is a brand new product, and the drivers have not yet settled. it has definately found a place into my main system. I would not hesiate to recommend this card to anyone who uses multi-mon on a regular basis, as it is probably the best single card dual monitor solution i have used next to the multi-chip cards like the MMS cards.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

I like posts like these, they are often more informative than reviews.
    This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Great mini-review! Very informative! I would like to see some system specs, though...

MadScot
      Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

I hope that those monitors you are using are TFT panels, because 1280x1024@60Hz would be suicidal to your eyes on a CRT.

Comment

hehehe, one monitor is a 17" viewsonic, thats its max res/refresh rate... i used to have some problems on other brands w/ 60hz but the viewsonics seem to be fine at it. the other is a 19" Hitachi that belongs to my GF, but its on her computer at the moment... i borrowed it for testing

the system that the P is in is a dual 1ghz p3 on an MSI 694D Pro-A, 512mb PC133 ram, and the rest is pretty normal (IBM 120gxp drive, SB Live 5.1, intel nic, dvd-rom and cd-rw). on a side note, i did encounter some problems with graphics corruption when i was first using it. i do believe it to be the motherboards fault as disabling AGP 4x (which has *never* worked right on this board - gotta love the Apollo Pro 133A chipset) and AGP Fast Writes (which is supposedly flakey on this board, never had a problem with it until this card though. granted, the 8500 does not support fast writes, but i thought both the G400 and GeForce 256 did...) fixed both issues.

i may put the P in the 1.33 tbird system i have to see if anything is drastically different. i didn't notice any major drops in system performance when i switched from it to the dually the last time though. despite the faster processor in the AMD system, i do like the dually more. Next system i build will probably wind up being a dual Hammer system, just because i am a little behind the times with most of my systems.

on a side note, as i was using my computer last night the Hitachi monitor (which was attached to the second head) flickered, suddenly brought up an "Invalid Sync" message, then promptly shut off. after turning it off, letting it sit, then turning it back on caused it to bring up a picture that was heavily tinted purple. turning it off again and letting it sit more and then turning it on again brought up *more* interesting colors, which went away with a degauss. so it was back to the purple. i thought i had fried the monitor until i reconnected it to my gf's system (w/ an 8500 in it) and noticed that it works fine.

not really sure what the hell happened with that, but i have yet to reconnect it to my system. i will probably do that later to see if everything is still fine on the second head. i just *hate* having to reboot my computer.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Probably a loose cable/pin in the monitor's plug. Wiggle the cable next time, both by the video card and by the monitor.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

double checking everything, the DVI->2xDB15 cable had come unseated from the card. the cable is not quite as snug as some of the other ones i have seen. acctually, that reminds me. the DVI->DB15 adaptor for monitor one didn't seem as well produced as the one that ATI ships with the 8500 series of cards.

also, the card does get warm as people have reported. the thing that i found most interesting is that the hottest part of the card seems to be the power regulation circuits. the memory seems to generally sit at "warm" and the HSF is warmer than the memory. the back side of the board behind the GPU is suprisingly cool though.

Comment

Well, I got my Parhelia retail in Tuesday.
                Installation went OK without any problems.

I can't say much about the 2D quality and DualHead/TripleHead features,
                because of my old 15" monitor (I have only one monitor, atleast for now).
                But you can definitely see that the 2D quality is atleast the same as with G400,
                or maybe better! DVDMax works fine with a TV, and the image quality is very good.
                Powerdesk utility is easy to use.

Performance of Parhelia..., I think it's great!
                I have never had cards like ATI Radeon or NVidia GeForce XX,
                but I think you can call Parhelia also as a gamers card.
                Image quality of games is much better than with G400 and
                the games that I've been testing so far are running sooo smooth.

Here is some of the games that I've been playing since I got my P:
                Colin McRae Rally 2
                Combat Flight Simulator
                Fifa World Cup 2002
                Grand Prix 4 (runs fine if I disable my network adapter while playing, otherwise it's a bit too slow, I don't know what is the issue with that)
                Max Payne
                Medal of Honor
                NHL 2002
                Return to the Castle of Wolfenstein

I have used max details in almost every game so far and resolution 1024x768, 32-bit color depth (max res for my monitor).

I like Parhelia very much so far, and I think it's worth every penny!
                Now I have to start looking for those extra monitors, so that I could really use all the features of Parhelia!

Comment

on an interesting side note... enabling hardware video acceleration in PowerDVD XP increases the cpu utilization from 30% (60% of one chip) to 50% (100% of a CPU). also, video quality decreases and I wind up with artifacts on interlaced video streams.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                    on an interesting side note... enabling hardware video acceleration in PowerDVD XP increases the cpu utilization from 30% (60% of one chip) to 50% (100% of a CPU). also, video quality decreases and I wind up with artifacts on interlaced video streams.
                    the reason is because Parhelia hasn't got hardware IDCT!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim

the reason is because Parhelia hasn't got hardware IDCT!
                      but it does have motion compensation on it, and if it was being done in hardware it *should* have at least *decreased* CPU utilization. 60%-100% of a 1ghz processor is *way* too much for DVD decoding. at least, it has been in my experience.

Comment

I don't believe that PowerDVD yet supports the hardware motion compensation of the Parhelia. The patch can't be too far off.
                        <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Ryu Connor
                          I don't believe that PowerDVD yet supports the hardware motion compensation of the Parhelia. The patch can't be too far off.
                          with the latest patch installed it detects it as capable of hardware video acceleration, and, if enabled, says its in use.

dunno if it acctually supports the P though.

Comment

DGhost, do you play Counter-strike too, could you check you if there are also fps drops.

It seems that the card has problems with opengl or better the drivers
                            Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

I found this table on tom's junkware :

too bad the parhelia isn't included , because I don't know how many textures per texture unit it can do
                              Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Working...
                              X