Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 + PCI 3D Card

Hi all

I'm still using a G400 and have no money for a Parhelia any time soon, being a student

I don't play much games but recently I'm hooked into Warcraft III and... the G400 is too slow for anything above 800x600 (well even in 800x600 it ain't that smooth). So, I'm considering getting a cheap PCI 3D card, probably a used GF3mx to play some 3D games. However...

1. How do I tell the games to render 3D on the PCI card instead of G400? The G400 has got to be my main display (for its 2D), and I'm using dualhead.

2. GF3, a good choice? Or will GF2 be sufficient or even a Voodoo3? I would like to play Warcraft III at 1280x1024 at medium quality. I don't play much 3D intensive games like UT or JK or NWN...

3. Hmm... am I doing right?

So looking forward to Parhelia 64mb OEM! (which will hopefully just under £200)

Thank you very much.
    P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
    And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

At the moment I have a G400Max and a Voodoo5500 in a PCI slot.
    To get the games to use the Voodoo all I need to do is tell Windows (2000 in my case) to use the Voodoo as its primary display. I tend to turn off extending windows desktop to the G400 at this point, although you dont have to, I just dont like switching between monitor inputs all the time.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I run a voodoo 3 pci with my G550 at the moment.
      The V3 is primary display, and i use the G550 for dualhead with a TV. Works fine. (16 bit color tho on the v3)
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I guess Voodoo works the same as GeForce, is it? (not an addon card but a complete VGA card) GF is actually a lot cheaper than Voodoo now second hand price.

So, Mr. RichL, do you mean: connect first monitor to Voodoo, second monitor to G400, and use Voodoo as primary display, and G400 as a clone. Turn the primary monitor (Voodoo) off or whatever since we don't need it anyway, and use the secondary monitor (G400) for production. Do I get you?

And, Mr Evildead666, you mean V3 = first head, G550#1 = second head, G550#2 = clone of second head on TV. Right?

Thanks for the info!

And oops, I forgot there is a 16bit colour limitation on Voodoo3...
        And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

There are quite a few nuances to multimonitor through seperate cards.

The boot from AGP/PCI or PCI/AGP can be used to define which monitor is the primary monitor, not to mention which monitor will be used in DOS.

There is also a function in Windows that allows the adjustment of which monitor is the primary monitor. By making a particular card the primary monitor it becomes the device that applications will flock to. On the whole applications are not multimonitor aware, so they won't give you the ability to adjust accordingly. Many 3D applications won't even launch if a second display is enabled.

What you want to do will work, but I'm not sure that any description of the process will be as good as working with it yourself directly.
          <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Originally posted by WyWyWyWy
            Thanks for the replies.

So, Mr. RichL, do you mean: connect first monitor to Voodoo, second monitor to G400, and use Voodoo as primary display, and G400 as a clone. Turn the primary monitor (Voodoo) off or whatever since we don't need it anyway, and use the secondary monitor (G400) for production. Do I get you?
            *blinks*
            Er, possibly. I'm not sure I understand the way you phrased the question, and it doesnt help that I use 2 inputs on my monitor and switch between them.

Heres what I have : G400 (AGP) selected as primary card in BIOS, selected as primary display device in Windows 2k. Its connected to the BNC inputs on my monitor.
            The V5500 (PCI) has all drivers loaded and is connected to the DSUB input on my monitor.

Most of the time, I use the G400 and in Windows Display properties, the windows desktop is not extended onto the 2nd monitor (ie the V5500), and the G400 is designated as 'Primary monitor'.
            When I want to use the V5500 as primary display (for gaming) I go into windows display properties, and select 'extend my windows desktop onto this monitor) on monitor 2, then select 'Use this device as primary display'.
            This shifts the focus of Windows to the V5500.
            I also tend to go and disable 'extend my desktop' for the G400, as I dont like having to swap between BNC/DSUB inputs on my monitor to see all my desktop, but you dont have to for most things.
            Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

in the days of the Voodoo I and PowerVR, there used to be an application called '3D Control Centre' which allowed you to change the Direct3D device set as primary, with a single click from the system tray. Maybe it still has some use these days? (if it still is compatible with current hardware). Anyway, I guess the OpenGL side is a tad more difficult...

Comment

Actually I find that the V5500 gives higher FPS in Half-Life TFC when using the D3D drivers than under OpenGL, even with the 3dfx min-driver.

Comment

Thank you all for the info! But I guess it wouldn't work for me then.

My monitor doesn't have 2 inputs, and a Voodoo5500 is very very expensive! - almost enough to get a Radeon 9000.

Sigh... I wish there are still 3D addon cards that do only processing and not displaying.

By the way, so you can't have a normal display card and make it works as if an addon card under any way, right?

Thanks.

Comment

Well obviously you'd need to plug a monitor into the V5500 to get to see anything. Having 2 inputs on my monitor merely simplifies things a bit.
                    I got my Voodoo5500 from an online auction site for £35 including postage. It helps if you look out for a MAC version of the card - they frequently come out cheaper, but you can re-flash the cards BIOS to use it as the PC version.
                    DO remember to get the BIOS file and the 3DFX flash utilty before bidding for the card though!

Comment

£35!? You lucky you!
                      Last week I checked on ebay.co.uk it was like £70.

Thanks for the info on Mac version. I'll keep an eye on ebay and I guess I'll have to "hot plug" my monitor when I'm to play games (or may be get a second hand monitor switch.)

Time to google for BIOS now!

Thanks.

Comment

*smug mode*
                        Actually I got mine via Yahoo! Auctions, which closed recently. I often found computer equipment on there was cheaper than in EBay.
                        If you cant find the BIOS (nb: dont forget to get the PCI bios version!) and flash util let me know and I can mail you a copy.

Comment

Okay, some new progress...

Now I found that I can purchase a new GeForce4 Mx420 PCI in less than £60, and a KVM switch in less than £20, and my plan is...

Code:
                              __________    __________
                             |          |	 |          |
                             | Monitor1 |	 | Monitor2 |
                             |__________|	 |__________|
                                  |              |
                              ____|____          |
                             |         |	       |
                             |   KVM   |	       |
                             |_________|	       |
                                  |  |           |
                                  |  |________   |
                              ____|____     __|__|__
                             |         |   |        |
                             | GeForce |   |  G400  |
                             |_________|   |________|
                          Now would that work?

I'll have to set my GeForce as primary display, my G400 head#1 as a clone of GeForce, and head#2 as independent desktop.
                          Is it possible under W2K/XP?

Normally the Monitor1 is switched to G400 by the KVM, and whenever I want to play games, I will switch it to the GeForce.
                          Now would that work?

I don't have any experience with KVM and if anybody has and would tell me, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm very confused >_<

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Keep in mind that the KVM will likely degrade the IQ of your G400. Running a G400 will lose a lot of the point.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Will it?
                              Oh damn...
                              Totally lost now.

So is there any other methods for me the common user?

Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
                              X