Parhelia and Geforce4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BokChoy
    You *SHOULD* consider ATI. They are cheap, fast, and the drivers are great now.

Parhelia is overpriced, why even consider it for gaming when the competition is faster and cheaper.

Not all mx420's are SDR
    no offense, but the drivers still suck. 90% of the driver issues that i have had since i purchased my 8500 have not been resolved.

not to mention the fact that every other driver build breaks their own tech demos. or the fact that my friend w/ a Radeon 64MB VIVO still has issues with it (he just replaced it with a GF3 Ti200 and has been happy ever since).

ATI still sucks.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Drivers are great now? I disagree.... and they never manage to deliver decent support for Xfree + DRI. Ridiculous...

Hard to admit, but these days a GF4-Ti 4200 has the best price/performance ratio.
      kaasboer, there is 3d opensource support for 7500's and if you have a "built by ATI" 8500..(or can the flash the bios to Built by ATI) you can use the 8800/8700 firegl driver, available for xfree 4.2 and 4.1.

Comment

I hope this stops the controversy regarding Gf4Mx420's memory:

Also here, check out the Gf4MX420 section of the table:

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
          I hope this stops the controversy regarding Gf4Mx420's memory:

Also here, check out the Gf4MX420 section of the table:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/gf4-mx/

Thank you very much!

Comment

new question...

ok, now I have a new question.

i have found both DDR and SDR equiped cards.

now, what is fastest? i play strictly 3-D games and that is newer games.

Comment

Theoretically SDR, lower latency and all that...however I doubt the difference is too noticeable, and about the newer games, I don't think you'll be able to run them with the details cranked up at anywhere near high-res...sadly it's the best performing PCI solution you're going to get, though if you play games you really should be looking for something else.

Comment

Powercolor makes PCI Radeons:

Should be pretty fast.
                "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Ohhh

Look nice. But I haven't found any resellers in Sweden I can't even find any place they sell the card. What's the price tag?

Comment

No clue, can't find a danish reseller either, but they look pretty interesting.
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I have to agree with BokChoy.

I have been running an ATI 8500 for a few months now and other then GTA3 have come accross no real problems.

I use my machine as a 3D artist as well as for games and I still have no reason to complain about drivers.

People should stop bashing ATi and their drivers, move on or bash Nvidia, at least ATi are trying to take a lead in the market
                      Last edited by dbdg; 19 August 2002, 09:47.

Comment

This may be a bit off topic, but I would like to comment on the stability of the ATI drivers. I own a built by ATI Radeon 8500 and the drivers are good. The knock on ATI had been their driver support, but I think that is not true anymore. ATI has been releasing incremental builds of their drivers for all the Radeon cards, including the OEM cards. Plus, there is great user support at Rage3d, Driver Heaven, etc. I don't OC or use any tweaking program, and have not flashed the bios. I'm using WinXP Home and have yet to have any 3D games or applications crash.

Comment

i have two candidates to choose from, will you please help me in choosing?

1) Inno3D GeFORCE4 MX420 PCI w/64MB SDRam TV-Out

2) Gainward PCI GeForce4 MX420 64MB DDR.- "PRO/450TV/

Now, witch one of them would you buy? They are about the same pricing here in Sweden. About $110 (tax included)

Got any ideas?

Comment

I would go for the Gainward since they have a decent reputation. And their 2D is above average for a GF4 card, not one of the best but definately not crap

Cobos
                            My Specs
                            AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

Gainward, Inno is an OK mid-range brand, but I think that they're asking way too much for it in your case. If it's a Golden Sample you can overclock it quite a bit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X