Parhelia: Performance/Features Vs. Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia: Performance/Features Vs. Price

I know theirs alot of complaing about the Parhelia's Pricing right now. I'm curious to see what you think the Pricing should be considering the Features/Performance levels we have now. I personally think considering the Performance I'm getting now and with the Features of the card...it should retail about $300-350 USD.
    List price of $400 USD
    0%
    $350-300
    0%
    $299-250
    0%
    under $250
    0%
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

i think its worth is $250 tbh the only thing that stands out about the P compared to other cards is sharp 2d (no one seems to have commented on the r9700s 2d quality :/) and triple head monitor support, i believe the ATI card has most of the other feature the P has, except 16x FAA buts ATIs 6xFSAA is suppose to look better according to hothardware i think and is most likely still faster than the P.

i think this might offend some people here, im not trying to make enemies but this is honestly my opinion. i think matrox have blatently ripped of some of the matrox fan(boys) as they know they would shell out alot even though it is seriously lacking it performance. But then again they are a company and they r doing what is right for buisness i.e. rip the people off who can afford it when sales dip lower the price. Honestly if the P is worth $350 that means the r300 is worth $500.

In nearly every benchmark the P falls, in games they do and they do professional apps, i seriously do wonder why they brung it out as it seem they have crippled it due to the low clock speed . But their ultra sharp 2d is a very nice feature. I used to be a matrox fan but this card is seriously not good and has come out 6 or 7 months later than it should have.

That being said im happy matrox are re-entering the 3d market and seeing that this is their first card in a while so let em off

Comment

We need a MAX version *grins*
      The dual highspeed DVI outputs are extremely nice.. can't beat running 2 flat panels in digital mode at 1600x1200.
      But I'd say 250-300

Comment

If they get certified OpenGL drivers out the door then the board is easy worth $400...but that's not the case is it???

Comment

Well, the price should really drop because of the 9700...
          System Specs:
          Gigabyte 8INXP - Pentium 4 2.8@3.4 - 1GB Corsair 3200 XMS - Enermax 550W PSU - 2 80GB WDs 8MB cache in RAID 0 array - 36GB Seagate 15.3K SCSI boot drive - ATI AIW 9700 - M-Audio Revolution - 16x Pioneer DVD slot load - Lite-On 48x24x48x CD-RW - Logitech MX700 - Koolance PC2-601BW case - Cambridge MegaWorks 550s - Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" CRT

Our Father, who 0wnz heaven, j00 r0ck!
          May all 0ur base someday be belong to you!
          Give us this day our warez, mp3z, and pr0n through a phat pipe.
          And cut us some slack when we act like n00b lamerz,
          just as we teach n00bz when they act lame on us.
          For j00 0wn r00t on all our b0x3s 4ever and ever, 4m3n.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddMan
            Well, the price should really drop because of the 9700...
            Well "problem is" that it won't. The G400MAX never dropped in price when the Geforce came out about 6 months after it, if I remeber correctly. People have to remember that M isn't Totally dependant on just Video cards to make money like ATI or Nvidia. If that was the case it would have been out of busness 2 years ago after the G550 Distaster.
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Well, I would say 300-350$ would be ok, especially now when we see that the Radeon 9700 is just a few weeks away from the store shelves.
              For me it seems that the Radeon 9700 is basicly what the Parhelia should have been: It offers best performance with all eye candy turned on, when I look at the Beyond3d review, I can see that many games are still playable in 1280x960x32, 4xFSAA and 16xAF. I am not sure if the P. can provide playable situations in this scenario, especially because it has only 2xAF at the moment.

But now back to the question:
              The P. is a great card, for games and maybe the best card for any 2d applications/home cinema. But it is not worth the 400$ anymore, if I would be today in the situation to buy a new graphics card, I would buy the P. again, but only for 360€ max. which is about 100€ less than the cheapest available retail P. in germany.
              I bought that card because I wanted a card which runs every game in 1024x768x32, full F(S)AA and good AF settings.
              16xFAA is a very nice feature, however it doesn't work as good as I expected. On the MS Train Sim the most important parts don't get any AA at all. Then Aniso still isn't fixed, we are still limited at 2xAF.... but actually I am a bit disappointed about the AF performance. Yesterday I started my favourite game (AHL) for the first time since I got my P. and I was shocked about it's performance: The card Parhelia handles this Half-Life mod very poor, the setting I wanted to play it with is unplayable.
              Specs:
              MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

I remember the first poll, I would have been happy to pay $500 CDN for something that would have out paced the 4600 and had all the professional features. (Not to mention the image quality)

With the P out there is no way I would give Matrox more than $300. It retails here in Canada for over $600!

I have used matrox cards for a long time and paid a premium for them, but this is ridiculous.
                Nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful theory getting slammed by an ugly fact!

Comment

I think 300$ would be a more of a fair price based on the quality and features....the price premium that some retailers ask for it is ridiculous, it seems that if you're lucky you can get it for under 400$, if you're not, you have to pay as much as 600$ for it...
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Working...
                  X