Parhelia and 3dsmax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia and 3dsmax

So we go out and buy 40 Parhelia cards (yes I said 40).

We've been promised drivers that'll work properly in 3dsmax since day 1. It's been weeks and the latest driver makes it even worse!!!

Come on guys!!!! where's the correct driver???

**DISSAPOINTED**
    Attached Files

That's not a question you should pose here. We're not Matrox here, we're just a users group. Go complain on the Matrox fora.

That being said...that is pretty sad !
    When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

Comment

Hmm.. I find 3DSMax working pretty good using D3D, which is what you should be using either now or in the future anyway (that is, if you use OGL now), if you want to use the vertex/pixel shader possibilities of 3DSMax anyway. (If I understood correctly, I am by no means an expert)
      OGL is borked big time from my experience. I can't even start the app using OGL.
      Tyan Thunder K7|2x AMD AthlonMP 1.2GHz|4x 512MB reg. ECC|Matrox Parhelia 128|Full specs

Comment

OpenGL is definately faster for interactivity (viewports).

BTW - nice specs, what O/S are you using?

My specs:
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SR533
        CPU: P4 2.26 with 533 FSB
        RAM - 1 GIG DDR 333
        HDD: 80GB Ultra 133, 7200 rpm
        Graphics: Matrox Parhelia 128Mb

Comment

Win XP Pro, runs like a charm. As far as OGL, I wouldn't know since 3DSMax hangs on me as soon as the viewports should be displayed after startup. Have to kill the app using taskmanager. In 3D3 it is fine. Haven't tried version 5 yet though, might work better.
          Tyan Thunder K7|2x AMD AthlonMP 1.2GHz|4x 512MB reg. ECC|Matrox Parhelia 128|Full specs

Comment

I believe that Max5 support special directx 8.1 and even 9 features for the viewports
            Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Just my luck - I've been working the whole day in max5 without any problems. ???

It is true that max has support for:

Direct3D Version:
              Direct3D Device
              Hardware (HAL)
              Software (RefRast)
              Direct3D Use Flags
              Release
              Debug

To be honest I have no idea what they're talking about.

The wierd thing is that sometimes in the middle of doing something (like zooming or creating) the entire PC will shut down and restart - but not 2day.

Comment

That sounds like your power supply is too weak, not a driver issue.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't think it is - I have a 300Watt power supply and it only happens when I do certain things in max (graphics)

Comment

It's nearly impossible to have software cause a spontaneous reboot in XP. You should at least get a lock-up or even BSOD. Power, heat, defective hardware - a physical cause is much more likely.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

300 watt is standard these days and really not that much......

Wombat:
                      I have experienced (pun intended ) that near impossibility and it was nearly driving me nut's......
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

MaxMax: Are you using 3DSMax for work purposes? What versions are you using?
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

It's nearly impossible to have software cause a spontaneous reboot in XP. You should at least get a lock-up or even BSOD. Power, heat, defective hardware - a physical cause is much more likely.
                          Drivers can tend to do it as well.
                          <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

MaxMan see my email. Think you would like this idea
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Ryu Connor

Drivers can tend to do it as well.
                              but as greebe said, its nearly impossible.

Windows 2000 and Windows XP are designed to trap that sort of behavior out and cause a program crash or the system would blue screen before it will just reboot.

even the system just locking up is harder to do than it seems under Windows XP and 2000. the device is much more likely to cause a blue screen that it is to lock or reboot.

a hardware problem is by far more likely to be the cause of the random rebooting than a software problem.
                              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                              X