PowerDesk-HF Memory Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerDesk-HF Memory Usage

has anyone else looked to see how much memory PowerDesk-HF uses?

i was just in the task manager when i happened to notice it using around 22MB just to sit in the tray. when i acctually opened it, it jumped to around 24MB.

this normal?
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Basically 28,960K active with 19,272K in the pagefile.

Big program.

Short of a game it's the largest memory using program I have. Not even my Outlook 2000 install can beat it.
    Last edited by Ryu Connor; 27 August 2002, 09:56.
    <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

PDeskNet.exe uses about 18Mb in my system....

Comment

it seems to fluxuate a bit, as it is now sitting at 10mb and it used to be sitting about 16 on this boot of windows.

wierd.

especially for what it does.

if this is what .NET programming does to, screw that. its not worth it. that is pure bloat.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

20 megs in the tray for me.
          All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

It is the .NET framework that is using all the memory.
            And it's not really using it all...it's reserving it.
            It will release the memory as needed, which is why you see the amount used change from time to time. PD-HF itself doesn't need much more than the old PD. Most of the memory you see being used is actually available to the system whenever it needs it.

You will be seeing more apps and drivers from many companies that will use .NET. In the next year or two almost everyone will be using .NET for one reason or another. Matrox is just ahead of the game (as usual).

Matrox has stated their reason for going the .NET route is because it will open up their drivers for many "mods" through .NET. I'm curious to see what kind of user tweaks this might bring about...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin
              It is the .NET framework that is using all the memory.
              And it's not really using it all...it's reserving it.
              It will release the memory as needed, which is why you see the amount used change from time to time. PD-HF itself doesn't need much more than the old PD. Most of the memory you see being used is actually available to the system whenever it needs it.
              He is right.

Remember that unused memory is wasted memory. So modern OS or programs will try to reserve some memory in case it is required, to eliminate "asking for memory" each time it is needed, thus running faster.

Moreover, what you see in task manager is not what you get. .NET does not free up memory straight away - it does so periodicaly. Garbage Collector.
              P4 Northwood 1.8GHz@2.7GHz 1.65V Albatron PX845PEV Pro
              Running two Dell 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD
              And of course, Matrox Parhelia | My Matrox histroy: Mill-I, Mill-II, Mystique, G400, Parhelia

Comment

Working...
              X