Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parhelia gets too hot

Well I received my parhelia today.

And my system sometimes crashes while playing Battlefield 1942.
    when XP restarts it sais with driver caused the crash
    And its mthpar ... something.

When I opened up my case I felt it was real hot in there.
    my whole parhelia card is running hot. I mean I never felt such a hot card.

I think that you almost can burn your fingers
    Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

what type of case do you have and what kind of cooling? my P gets hot, but not *that* hot...
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Those copper spool things getting really hot.

I read in the other thread that he couldn't run the reef demo for more than 15 mins.

So I tried it for 30 mins. No crash, but my case was open

its an aopen HQ08
      Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

The chip itself isn't that hot.

I think its an combination of the memory chips + those spool things.

I my drill a hole is my case and put a 7cm fan , I think that my might help alot

Comment

Yeah, som extra cooling would probably help. the power regulation circutry also get the hottest on my card, but with 2x 80mm fans exausting right next to the card it stays fairly cool =)
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

kind of surprising that the board power supply would be the hottest part.. generally the regulators run relatively cool compared to the core and memory. If the inductors (the copper coil looking parts) are getting pretty hot, then Matrox probably was pusing the part spec for current limit.

Comment

Is your computer overclocked ?

Comment

Yesterday, i recived my Parhelia ( Bulk ) too. The GPU stay's realy cool, but the Ram becomes hot, ouch! Although i have a CS-601 Case with a Side-Cooler. Nevertheless i have replaced this Pad between the cooler an GPU with silver thermal compound. I smell a high Overclocking
                Last edited by Gohan; 28 August 2002, 01:10.
                System:
                P III-S 1.4@1.52
                512 MB SDR-Ram
                Gigabyte-6IEML
                Matrox Parhelia

Comment

Yes my computer is overclocked . P4 1.8@2.4
                  But the pci/agp speed is locked at 33mhz

Comment

I doubt he is concerned about your bus speed. More like if your OCing then your internal case temps are high, thus causing additional problems as it's not able to keep your Parhelia as cool if it wasn't otherwise.

ie cool that case!
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

the funny thing is that my p4 doesn't get that hot
                      But yeah I am gonna drill a hole for extra cooling
                      especially for those inductors and memory chips

so its pretty normal that the card gets hot ?

Comment

Yes and that's normal
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I modded my case and added a 80mm fan , will make a photo when I got a camera from someone

Comment

more relevant question: does it still crash?

Comment

nope, it crashed only 2times but haig said it was driver related.

Comment

Working...
                              X