No announcement yet.

Parhelia gets too hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just that this doesn't really interest me as much as to make me dig through big piles of specifications half of which I can't understand, and make a degree in eletronics engineering

I have understood that there's more to logic design than process (and process size) to determine maximum clockspeed (avoiding hotspots, avoiding too long paths, designing a longer pipeline - though I don't know what the latter really does )

I just don't know how this is with RAM - sure, there are different types, and different packaging - but I thought that 3 ns BGA RAM is 3 ns BGA RAM. Don't know if there are big quality differences, but I guess there are different models for that. Is RAM manufactured on different process technologies and/or sizes?

You see, I know a little, but it really isn't sufficient to answer my questions, and I wouldn't know any better place than here to look for more knowledge.

Besides, I'm a little lazy right now

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

All RAM cells are certainly not equal. Even if the RAM were identical, how it is used makes a huge difference in power consumption. Not to be rude, but there's a steep learning curve in any information beyond that, and if you don't want to make the climb, I can't help you.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I sure would want to know more, it's just that I don't know any place to ask, other than here

Is it possible to access the RAM with longer/shorter latency times (I guess so), and what effect would this have on heat exhaust? Is it possible to use the RAM with higher or lower voltage (or are there standard voltages, like 3.3 V - and are these "tweaked" a little, to add stability or something, like overclockers do).

I sure want to learn, but I don't really know which questions to ask, and if you want to answer them. I could certainly understand if you'd rather choose not to

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hi Caine

been following your thread, plus a number of others before giving up on the 256 P and taking what's there. Got my 128 R yesterday.

Installation and setup went smooth and easy.

Thought I would see if I got any of your experiences. Yes, I got the same reef demo loading screen corruption and the same fish jitters and glitchs you did, but only in Giga color. At 16 mil 100 Hz refresh everything was perfect.

I monitored the heat the whole time with box closed. Box temp wandered from 35 C to 45 C and CPU from 38 C to 48 C, highest shorter peaks to 52 C.

If I consider that my old P3 800 CPU lives at up to over 50 C, then my Parhelia system looks good. Though I like a cool and quiet system, I have no qualms on the temp until I get around to some cooling.

Thought you might be interested to know.
          How can you possibly take anything seriously?
          Who cares?

Comment

ok here they are

Hey! You're talking to me all wrong! It's the wrong tone! Do it again...and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron

Comment

Cool! A friend of mine did something like that, except that he took a ducted port out of an old speaker cabinet and stuck it in between.

Tomorrow I'm meeting my OC main man and look into watercooling CPU, GPU and Northbridge. I've always held off going to watercooling 'cause I want a computer, not an aquarium. Reef demo is about as close to water as I want my rig to get. Maybe I'll take the risk, something new...
              How can you possibly take anything seriously?
              Who cares?

Comment

Working...
              X