Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• review Parhelia

Look at viperlair.com.

What struck me is that he seems to have incorrectly set the DVD-MAX aspect ratio setting in the TV-Out test.

No way should the borders be cropped if the reference image had them, unless he had incorrectly set 'scale to full-screen' in the DVD-MAX properties tab, vs. scale to 4:3 based on windows settings.

This also means that his source was neither 4-3 or anomorphicly enhanced, which means he was _not_ using a DVD for playback? Perhaps a DivX encode??? that would make the outcome of his tests a LOT less meaningfull. If you do a imagequality compare, you should compare it with the best possible source (at least DVD quality), and preferrably on a TV, because that's what tv-out is being used for. Comparing on a capture card also brings the quality of the card used for captures into play, which is a bad thing imho.

I won't/can't comment on other parts of the test, except that doing a 2D image comparison on a 19" Dell with Sony Trinitron tube at 1600x1200@85Hz might not be the best possible conditions for a good comparison.

Comment

dZues,

I'm the one who did the review, so let me answer a your statements (If I can). I remember trying all forms of DVD MAX (scale to full-screen, 4:3, 16:9; Video Source, video window) but the picture didn't change at all (which I still think is strange, but it could be the TV Wonder cropping the picture). The reference picture was a Rip directly from the DVD source (I.E ripped the vob and then outputted it using HuffYUV) and the test pictures where played using WinDVD using the SVHS cable to the TV Wonder.

Question, what would you suggest for doing a 2D image comparison, different monitor or resolution? I'm always looking to improve my reviews .

Any other questions please let me know (I'd be happy to listen/change the review to correct it). Or if this isn't clear (Which knowing me it isn't ) let me know.

Sincerely,
      DSP
      Writer - www.viperlair.com
      1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
      512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
      MSI 845PE FISR
      8.4GB Quantum CR
      40GB Maxtor 5400
      MSI 40X12X48
      Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
      SB Audigy
      Parhelia (210/600)
      19" Dell P991
      Win2kPro
      Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

why didn't you just play the DVD? If you're afraid that the software dvd player affects the image quality, then you could decode the ripped vob with DVD2AVI and set the DVD-MAX setting to 'always scale to fullscreen'.

If the source didn't have 4:3 or anomorphic aspect ratio, but appeared like it did regardless of DVD-MAX setting for aspect ratio, then those settings are completely broken in the driver you used for the Parhelia (which is possible, I've seen similar kind of bugs in the G400 drivers in the past).

btw. you got to have noticed the horizontal lines in the capture which severe colour distortion! Did you try to investigate what caused them?

Comment

Btw DSP, isn't the feature you listed as one of the cons in the end of the review, Dualhead + TV Out the feature that will come with the new drivers ? The one everyone has been talking about ? Just incquireing as I'm not too versed in this myself.

Cobos
          My Specs
          AMD XP 1800+, MSI KT3 Ultra1, Matrox G400 32MB DH, IBM 9ES UW SCSI, Plextor 32X SCSI, Plextor 8x/2x CDRW SCSI, Toshiba 4.8X DVD ROM IDE, IBM 30GB 75GXP, IBM 60GB 60GXP, 120GB Maxtor 540X, Tekram DC390F UW, Santa Cruz Soundcard, Eizo 17'' F56 and Eizo 21'' T965' Selfmodded case with 2 PSU's.

Comment

dZeus,

I don't really have any reason for not using the DVD except that I was needing the VOB file anyway and there shouldn't have been any difference between the two. I'm going to look at the aspect ratio thing soon (same thing happened with the G400). As for the horizontal lines I can't say what caused them (still looking into that) but it doesn't affect any other video (TV or AVI video/MPEG movies) so it could just be WinDVD. I will wait till I switch/upgrade systems before I test again though (getting an XP1700 and SIS745 based board, hopefully soon) as my other system is currently running Mandrake 9.

Cobos,

Since that feature isn't in the current drivers, I listed it as a con, as it may never be in the drivers (but I would love to see it ).

dsp
            MSI 845PE FISR
            8.4GB Quantum CR
            40GB Maxtor 5400
            MSI 40X12X48
            Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
            SB Audigy
            Parhelia (210/600)
            19" Dell P991
            Win2kPro
            Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

*cough*
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Erm well I may add my thoughts:

1.) Why compare with Kyro II? I mean ok, you didnt have any other card at the time, but how hard is to borrow one from local hardware store and maybe delay the review for few days. Its not like it hasnt been late anyway... But thats your choice.

2.) Thing which bothers me infinitely more is why choose Villagemark as one of cornerstones of your comparison? The utility was written to show what Kyro TLA can do and is certainly NOT a non-biased bench tool. If you used Villagemark, why didnt you try Sharkmark or Reefdemo? (I am not 100% sure those 2 can be used with any non-Matrox videocard, so this question might be stupid, but I think you see what am I shooting at).

3.) DVDMax questions were already poitned out.

Comment

well, i think villagemark is a good choice of benchmark, especially because parhelia doesn´t have any advanced HSR, it is a good idea to check out the weaknesses of the card too.

Im a bit puzled about the ut2003 benchmarks though, isn´t they a bit too low.
                  they seemed much higher when I tried the demo with my parhelia.

But IMO if you can´t compare it to anything in its range, the why compare it with another card at all, IMO you should have compared it to the kyro2, there doesn´t HAVE to be multiple cards in the benchmark tables you know.
                  Last edited by TdB; 3 October 2002, 10:36.
                  This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Look at the cpu used in the review...
                    Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

aah!
                      that explains it.

BTW why was the kyro2 overclocked?
                      Last edited by TdB; 3 October 2002, 11:03.
                      This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Luni,

1) I didn't have another card to compare it against due to some really interesting problems with a GF4 that I was supposed to get (don't ask). As for 'borrowing' a card from a store, I did that once and my conscience bothered me, so I'm not doing that again (buy then return with full refund).

2) I think TDB pointed it out best, it is more a look at the memory bandwidth of the card, no other reason. Also I think Reefdemo doesn't work with any other card and the Sharkmark I had managed to lose both it and the link to it (silly e-mail) though I wasn't planning on using that either.

TDB,

The main reason I compared it to the Kyro II was to give an indication as to what someone looking to upgrade from an older card (GF2 or previous) would see in the way of performance improvement. As for the reason the Kyro II was overclocked, it's just because thats how I've used it since almost since I've got it, no other reason really. I hope to do an update when the overclocker comes out and I have my 'newer' CPU, note as well that those UT2003 scores are from the bot matches and not the flyby's.

Wombat,

Might want to get that cough looked at by a doctor. I am probably going to get the MSI 745 Ultra though.

dsp
                        Writer - www.viperlair.com
                        MSI 845PE FISR
                        8.4GB Quantum CR
                        40GB Maxtor 5400
                        MSI 40X12X48
                        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                        SB Audigy
                        Parhelia (210/600)
                        19" Dell P991
                        Win2kPro
                        Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Is anyone round here not going with the MSI 745 Ultra? Scan.co.uk has got it for 50 nikker at the mo, so I am tempted too (to replace the POS ECS K7AMA board which is stable but hopelessly inflexible)

Good review btw - nice to see another viewpoint added - keep up the good work .
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                          X