Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retail Parhelia not at retail clock speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pssst haig, your boss doesn't need to know. get yourself some alter ego (like giaH ) and post that by some strange coincidence you decrypted the meaning of all pins!

Nah, the important ones have allready been figured out.

Comment

any info on the clock speed differences? would it void the warranty to change it to what it is supposed to be?
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

That probably would be a void, since you're changing the PINS, which you're not supposed to even see. But I don't know if/how Matrox would even know.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          That probably would be a void, since you're changing the PINS
          IANAL, but how would that void warranty when I was sold an advertised 220Mhz GPU thats only running at 217Mhz?

If Matrox fix it then they would simply flash the BIOS - which I could do myself quite easily, saving myself the posting and delivery hassle whilst saving matox the hassle of flashing it, processing it and filling paperwork.

Christ - if I buy a car and stick a K&N air filter on it (I've modded the car myself) replacing the standard one I would still expect the warranty on the car to be in tact! As would everyone else fitting the air filter.
          "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
          Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
          DriverHeaven administrator
          PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

any info on the clock speed differences?

Not yet.

would it void the warranty to change it to what it is supposed to be?

Technically yes but UL and Wombat make a good point.

Comment

Ok just found my Parhelia was running at (PINS) 200000/500000, fixed it up to 220000/550000 and its running a little faster, just over 8000 in 3dmark2001 as opposed to 7000 and something.

Comment

Just had the chance to do a pins dump of my Parhelia. It is one of the 217/542 models.

I am curious why there are two different versions of the retail card.
                <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Instead of doing a mimic of K6-III's pinsfile, I just adjusted the clockspeed within my pinsfile. Hammering on it now, but it seems to work just fine.
                  <a href="http://www.unspacy.com/ryu/systems.htm">Ryu's PCs</a>

Comment

Hmm, I also have a 217/542 model. I feel cheated!
                    Tyan Thunder K7|2x AMD AthlonMP 1.2GHz|4x 512MB reg. ECC|Matrox Parhelia 128|Full specs

Comment

I just checked my BIOS, when I read it right, then I should have the 220/550 model
                      Iam still wondering how there can be a 3/8 MHz difference though
                      Specs:
                      MSI 745 Ultra :: AMD Athlon XP 2000+ :: 1024 MB PC-266 DDR-RAM :: HIS Radeon 9700 (Catalyst 3.1) :: Creative Soundblaster Live! 1024 :: Pioneer DVD-106S :: Western Digital WD800BB :: IBM IC35L040AVVN07

Comment

Huh very strange. I just dumped and checked my pinsfile.txt and it is very different from K6s. I have a retail Parhelia, and it is clocked correctly, ie 220/550, but many of the pins are way different.

Dunno what to think about this, I attached the file so maybe you bios gurus can make something out of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tally up another unhappy camper at 217/542.

Bought my Parhelia 2 weeks ago and have a "PBNxxxxx" s/n. This leads me to believe they have been doing this for quite a while now. Those who have RMA'd due to this will most likely NOT get one clocked at 220/550 (assuming they ship a new board).

I'm eagerly awaiting Haig's response to the cause of this.
                          Last edited by ravalox; 20 October 2002, 17:27.
                          Waiting on tech support...

Comment

It couldn't be that Parhelia's clocked to slightly lesser speeds show up less artifacts when in heavy operation (light background, PowerDVD diagnostics) ?
                            Peter Aragon
                            Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Aragon
                              It couldn't be that Parhelia's clocked to slightly lesser speeds show up less artifacts when in heavy operation (light background, PowerDVD diagnostics) ?
                              If that was the case then I wouldn't be seeing the horizontal disturbance with my slightly underclocked Parhelia.

I'm eagerly awaiting Haigs response. Obviously he hasn't actually been in the office yet since he first read about this here as he hasn't replied on the issue
                              "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen Roberts

µße®LørÐ - A legend in his underwear
                              Member of For F*ck Sake UT clan
                              DriverHeaven administrator
                              PowerVR Network administrator

Comment

oh crap i got a 217 mhz one too

god dam you a thousand for a card you expect it to at least run at what they say it should
                                The underlying fact of the essence of life is if you stand on your head everything becomes upsid edown

Comment

Working...
                                X