State Of Matrox; A VigilAnt Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the features, but Parhelia doesn't fit for me

I have not been around here for awhile, but I've been with Matrox hardware since the first Mystique.

When Parhelia was announced, I posted skeptical items here to warn people that we've been through this before and the hype never lives up to itself in terms of actual games you will enjoy that look as sexy as the tech demos.

Anyway, here I am months later checking on the prices for Parhelia. It is still priced at 3 times what I paid for a G400 or anything previous. That doesn't fit for my budget.

And how about driver support - hmmm! Nothing for Windows 98/ME! That sucks. I keep Win 98 around so that I have rudder pedals in flight sims. The game port support was dropped in Windows 2000 and up. I have a multi-boot machine with Win 2000 but I want Win 98 for gaming support.

Anyone visiting web logs of a website will know that about 50% of userland is made up of Windows 98 users. They may not all be 3D gamers, but there will likely be someone at the house who is and they probably have some pressure on what video card to buy (like the Dell dude).

I had to upgrade from my G400 when my boss was blowing me away all the time in Quake III due to my 800x600 resolution. I found a cheap nVidia based product that would put me on equal resolution and framerate.

Even if Matrox puts out a new card that is cheaper (the ATI and nVidia business model) it will have to produce decent framerates for the buck or they will lose out to the other guy.

This is sad. It looks like yet another great video card company with innovative technology and great attention paid to the details is going to bite the dust. It reminds me of the death of Rendition or video tape Beta format - the quality one dies and the crappy solution lives on.

Comment

256k card?

Originally posted by jswcpm
      256 k card
      The paradise vga color card??? Yes i remember. I was child!!!

Comment

OAK technologies? 256k? sounds familiar... wasnt that something from my 386?
        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

oak made cdrom.sys
          no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

that brings back memories of problems with mscdex, never understood that program!
            Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Originally posted by knirfie
              that brings back memories of problems with mscdex, never understood that program!
              mscdex was great...I cant count the times I had to make a autoexec.bat and config.sys for people to use their cdrom in dos...

That takes me back...
              "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Byock

mscdex was great...I cant count the times I had to make a autoexec.bat and config.sys for people to use their cdrom in dos...

That takes me back...
                Tell me about it. Makes me want to go back and be a sys admin for DOS and be a god.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

and what happened byock? I was at least 20 post ahead of you and now you're 50 ahead of me.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

the original windows95 INSTALL DISK came without cdrom.sys and mscdex.exe, everyone had to upgrade it by hand
                    took them till Win95 OSR2 to make a proper one.
                    no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

• omg if dos somehow became big again I'd be able to get an obscenely high paying job in IS.. lol
                      Need a network card setup in dos? no problem *cackle*

Comment

• Originally posted by dparadis
                        and what happened byock? I was at least 20 post ahead of you and now you're 50 ahead of me.
                        Well, I finally have all the servers, and clients running right now. So, I seem to have alot more free time at work.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Working...
                        X