Tom's ditches G550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's ditches G550

Claming that it cannot run with tv only, is that really true ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

you have to put it on clone mode and then detach the monitor and it works on secondary output

Comment

But in this article, he wanted it to boot with only the TV conected.

Which is fine if you have a monitor spare if things go wrong, and for initial set up.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

hmm... on my HTPC with G400 it costed 5 minutes to set up, after which I never had to connect the monitor to it again (even if tv fails I can fix it through remote administrator).

Comment

BIOS Update needed?

Didn't Matrox come out with a BIOS update (at least for the G400) they did, where you could check a box to allow the dual-head to display DOS while booting?

I don't know if this is what the guy wanted as I have not had time to read the TOMS readers article completely yet.

I have no idea if what the reader says is true or not, but I'm going to go home and try just that with my current setup, as I have my TV hooked up to the 2nd head as clone.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

nah you can't use DOS tv-out on the G450/G550.. but you can most definately use TV-only output in windows.
            Last edited by dZeus; 11 November 2002, 15:18.

Comment

Re: BIOS Update needed?

Originally posted by mmp121
              Didn't Matrox come out with a BIOS update (at least for the G400) they did, where you could check a box to allow the dual-head to display DOS while booting?
              TV output support for DOS
              =========================

Some models of Matrox graphics cards support TV output. With TV
              output support, you can view or record your computer display with
              a TV or video recorder connected to your graphics card.

TV output is supported with Windows 98/Me/2000, Windows NT 4.0,
              and DOS. By default TV output is disabled. If TV output is
              disabled, a TV connected to your computer will display black. For
              information on how to enable TV output mode in Windows 98/Me/2000
              or NT 4.0, see Matrox online documentation.

To enable TV output for DOS display modes, the BIOS of your Matrox
              graphics card needs to be configured.

DOS display modes may be used when:

- your computer is restarted in DOS mode
              - DOS programs are run full-screen
              - a full-screen DOS prompt is used under Windows
              - text is displayed on your computer monitor before Windows starts

Note: For G450/G550-based graphics cards, TV output for DOS
              display modes aren't supported.
              It works with a G400 at least, which is a good thing since that's what I'll be using for my livingroom PC.
              <tt>READY.</tt>
              <tt><blink>#</blink></tt>

Comment

He will need to boot up with the primary monitor attached the first time and then set up the TV output through PowerDesk. Subsequently, he will no longer need the monitor attached...and will be able to run the TV on its own.
                OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Don't tell us, tell him
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

hmm... not surprising... another flaw made by toms just kidding.

Comment

1 Thing to note is that the G400 supports S-video, Composite and SCART-RGB in Windows but only S-Video and Composite in DOS (when enabled through BIOS).

Most people won't care but in my MAME rig it makes a difference!

Mike
                      MrMikeman
                      <BR><FONT SIZE="1">
                      System 1 (MY baby!):
                      AMD Athlon 2000+, 512 MB DDR, Parhelia 128MB OEM, 3 X 17" Daytek's, 2 X 40 GB, 1 X 80 GB, Creative DVD 5X, Yamaha CDRWF1, SB Live! 5.1 & Creative 5300, Linksys 10/100, 3072 X 768 TH.
                      <BR>
                      System 2 (MAME rig):
                      PIII 800, G400MAX + RRG, 512 MB, SB 16, 10/100 NIC, real arcade monitor
                      <BR>
                      System 3 (Wife's):
                      Celeron 600 laptop, 192 MB, ATI Rage pro, 802.11b Wireless LAN
                      <BR>
                      System 4 (Kid's):
                      Durron 600, 512 MB, Radeon 64 VIVO, SB Live!, 10/100 NIC<BR>
                      </FONT>

Comment

if you feel comfortable messing with your G400's BIOS, perhaps you can fix that as well:

there's a command line option to set certain Maven settings, including RGB support for NTSC or PAL.

Comment

Working...
                        X