No announcement yet.

VigilAnt Rant and Some Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is all my random ramblings so consider this as deranged thoughts and not fact:

What some of us seem to forget is that everything takes time, so a graphics company never has just one product in development. They certainly didn't start planning the P2 only after Parhelia was released.

So... Maybe P2 has been designed for 0.09 tech from the beginning.

The Parhelia (at least done the way Matrox did it) already pushes the limits of its tech. It runs quite hot. And because the P2 is probably even more complicated, it is probably not possible in 0.15um, maybe not even in 0.13um. And even if it was, as has been discussed before, changing from one tech to another isn't just an "okay, it will be ready by tomorrow" thing.

0.09um technology will not be available in a while. For Matrox to skip the Parhelia and release the P2, they would have had to wait MUCH longer.

So maybe their glorious management had first decided to skip the Parhelia (for example, because of heat problems) and move directly to Pitou, but then realized that they need a product (or maybe fab processes developed slower than they expected, or they simply needed the money), changed their minds and put people to resurrect the original Parhelia, preferably as fast as possible?

Comment

• I think Matrox could have pushed more out of their Parhelia chip, but the lack of ASCI engineers probably explains this!

Look at R300, and what ATi does at a 0.15micron process, AMD also did it (Thunderbird -> Palimino)

Imagine Parhelia @300-325Mhz core.....

Comment

• Originally posted by GT98

There you go....I personally hold out no hope that Matrox will make anything that personally suites my needs in a GFX card.
        We'll have to be cautious about using the "GFX" abbreviation from now on. People might understand that it's an abbreviation for that -eForce- thingie.

Comment

• Originally posted by [GDI]Raptor
          I think Matrox could have pushed more out of their Parhelia chip, but the lack of ASCI engineers probably explains this!

Look at R300, and what ATi does at a 0.15micron process, AMD also did it (Thunderbird -> Palimino)

Imagine Parhelia @300-325Mhz core.....

Damn right, ASCII engineers ROCK!!!

Comment

• I was kinda hoping this wasn't going to come true but I heard that 7 conference rooms are reserved for Friday. Most of them are for the asic people. Me hopes this is just a harmless get together to talk about their Xmas party.

CI

Comment

• What did they R&D at Boca? Do you know?
              Some of the chips we had at least a part of: Rainbow Runner, Mystique, G100, G450, Parhelia & TBA

Drivers: OS/2 for Millennium thru G450, Matrox Video Tools & MMS for Windows NT & 2000, G-Series & Parhelia OpenGL ICDs

I'm sure that's not a complete list.

Comment

• Heya Randy
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by RanDob

Some of the chips we had at least a part of: Rainbow Runner, Mystique, G100, G450, Parhelia & TBA

Drivers: OS/2 for Millennium thru G450, Matrox Video Tools & MMS for Windows NT & 2000, G-Series & Parhelia OpenGL ICDs

You're obviously connected with M at the site so GOOD LUCK with yor job (present or future)
                  Cheers, Reckless

Comment

• I think there are some exaggerations going on here guys, espescially among the doom sayers (like GT98).
                    I spoke to a guy who left Matrox in January 2001 (to go back to studies), and just before he left, he had just earned a 65% raise plus a bonus equalling 50% of his annual salary. So the "no raise nor bonuses since 3 years" story goes out the window.

Seems like there are some disgruntled employees (just like in any other company) that are spreading false doom rumors. I am curious to know whether the rumour that Boca Raton facility closing down is true or not. I remain sceptic.

Comment

• Originally posted by RanDob

what's TBA?

Comment

• To be announced

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                        ASUS A7N8X
                        Corsair 1GB PC3200
                        Parhelia 128MB
                        EIZO L685EX

Comment

• "So the "no raise nor bonuses since 3 years" story goes out the window. "

Would you like to have a friendly bet? A few beers at Jacks would be fine. I'm also from Montreal so we can meet to pay up

Or better yet, stand at their front door in 2 days and just ask as the warriors march out 1 by 1. Then you'll finally be convinced.

CI

Comment

• Hi Mike!

Boca is closed. That's no rumor, El DonAntonio.

Thanks, Reckless!

Comment

• Is matrox really doing that bad?.

Here in Australia, a lot more retailers actually have matrox cards in stock(including parhelia), than there used to be

A year ago I had to search all over the place to find one that stocked ANY matrox hardware.

I suppose Australia is only a tiny% of there entire market

Comment

• Originally posted by Chief_Inspector
                                "So the "no raise nor bonuses since 3 years" story goes out the window. "

Would you like to have a friendly bet? A few beers at Jacks would be fine. I'm also from Montreal so we can meet to pay up

Or better yet, stand at their front door in 2 days and just ask as the warriors march out 1 by 1. Then you'll finally be convinced.

CI
                                I'm willing to bet Chief

It would be too easy though, I already saw with my own eyes that this friend had his salary raised shortly before leaving. That was 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X