VigilAnt Rant and Some Observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Haig on Matrox tech support forums
    But let's take a hypocritical thought to play with...

If there would be new chip revision of Parhelia on the works, would it be a good idea launch it before holiday season?

If it's ready, if the architecture is the same as the current P, and if it's aimed at a different market, yes it would be a good idea.

And IF this would happen, would it mean replacing old Parhelias with a new version or maybe introducing new cards using new revision on paraller?

I think that if P128 and P256 are selling well AND if whatever is next is headed for a different market, then running them in | | is not a big deal.
    From Vigilant's blurb "Use the current Parhelia core in a multimedia type card." and from Haig "...AND if whatever is next is headed for a different market..." we can assume that there is Parhelia revision (8x part not Pitou) in the works or just before launch (Mojerator Greese announced something.).

1. Ditch the idea of the Triple Head for the mass market idea. You guys at Matrox Graphics know what I am talking about. If you want a Triple Head card for the masses, then use the current Parhelia core for it. This would allow you to fix your mistake with the overstock you have now.
    IMO release value 64MB triple-head card based on the current Parhelia core that is overstocked. Disable or fix anny features that have issues. (to clear the stock)

Replace P128 and P256 with 8x core. This will yield new reviews and if the performance is relly 20% better and issues are fixed, the reviews should be favorable and this is the high time for releasing products for X-mas shopping season. If the price is right (between Radeon 9700pro and GF4 Ti4600) this one should sell better than current Parhelia.

2. Use the current Parhelia core in a multimedia type card. Your PCB already has foot prints for what a lot of videophiles want. Cater to them. Parhelia has a lot features that aren't out there that would entice some good money your way with such a product.
    Depends: If the Multimedia chips and boards are already produced, go for it. If not use 8x parts for performance parts (128 and 256) and current core for 64MB value triple head and multimedia card

3. Release the Parhelia 8X core. It will benefit you right now. Put it in the place of the current Parhelia 128 and price it at perhaps 10 percent lower. The fixes and the added performance alone would allow it to outsell the current Parhelia in short order.
    I agree. Multimedia people don't need higher framerates, AA and FAA. Gamers and AEC|VIZ professionals who buy $300 or $600 cards do.

4 and 5: Pitou needs to take performance crown or at least equalize leading part from competition. (either R350 or NV30 in May - June 2003) to turn heads of the press and position Matrox as leading 3D company againg.

For value parts (like G450) just use Parhelia 8x core and disable some features in the PCB or through drivers.

The problem is that Matrox ATM does not have a competitive product in any segment.

Comment

i already said it many times: release a 64MB P with SH at a competitive price (~170$?)! the vast majority of users don't even run DH, let alone TH.
      no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

oh and speaking about overproduction: it seems that matrox has a faible for this. just look at matroxshop.com, they must still be sitting on thousands of m3d's

Comment

Yeah, if they have got loads of M3Ds, then take note - cut the price now, not later.

I might even buy one
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Or maybe they should bundle them with a Parhelia

Buy one P and get a m3D for free
            ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Originally posted by thop
              i already said it many times: release a 64MB P with SH at a competitive price (~170$?)! the vast majority of users don't even run DH, let alone TH.
              Ppl like to think they *COULD*. That's why nobody buys a PC with a CPU soldered on it, even if 90% of the ppl never upgrade it -they buy a new one instead.

IMO they should sell the bulk of the P chips at a discount to HP/IBM/<insert name here>. Gigabyte had cut a deal with them in the past to make their own boards with Matrox chips. They should do the same again so as to sell the chips without having to invest in the production of the actual boards. Then introduce the P-II in the spring and eventually the P-8x as a replacement to the G550 (or as a lower-end P -Ati and Nvidia are doing just that with their line up) or as a video-enthusiast board (à la All-In-Wonder -the G550 is a decent board which is already paid for so it probably generates more profit in the low end).

Comment

Ppl like to think they *COULD*. That's why nobody buys a PC with a CPU soldered on it, even if 90% of the ppl never upgrade it -they buy a new one instead.
                No, they used to be permanently attached. They're socketed now because it's cheaper to repair and salvage.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

In Matrox we trust.

Comment

Buy one P and get a m3D for free
                    what about the other way around?

Comment

Is that m3D just accelerator?

Comment

That M3D is just a doorstop.
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          No, they used to be permanently attached. They're socketed now because it's cheaper to repair and salvage.
                          They stopped doing that in the 80386 days...then again the x87 wasn't included either...there usually was a free socket for it...

Comment

Comment

No, they didn't stop then. I had an SX2/50 that was permanently on, and I'm pretty sure I remember some Pentiums that way too. Anyway, the point is that they did it for their own in-house benefit, not to make it "upgradable."
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by thop

Yes, yes, yes!!! I also belong to the normal human beings and have one single head only. Matrox should not force these people to buy another neck without packing a second head in the package! It doesn't look nice running around with ONE head and two necks!
                                Last edited by chaoliang; 17 November 2002, 05:37.

Comment

Working...
                                X