No announcement yet.

No Parhelia card present in the mad-onion hall of fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wombat i have also seen similar things with freinds geforces seeming jerkier then parhelia yet ther fps have been up to double what mine has shown sometimes.
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Have anyone with NV cards tried to lower the latencies on the card?
      THe default is 248 clocks wich ties up the bus for an insane amount of time:

Nvidiacard situation:
      For 248 clocks: only NV
      for 160 clocks: Sound,cpu,hdd,nic, etc=stutering
      For 248 clocks: only NV
      and so on

Matrox situation:
      32Cs Matrox card (any one all of them playes "nice")
      32Cs Sound
      32Cs Matrox card
      32Cs cpu
      32Cs Matrox card
      32Cs hdd
      32Cs Matrox card
      32Cs nic
      32Cs Matrox card
      32Cs etc

No stutering due to the bus not being hijacked.....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

In partly CPU-limited things, higher fps can actually look worse. That's because if the card is able to put out 100+ fps but at some point the CPU limits this to, say 40fps, this major dropdown to 40fps is experienced as "stuttering", and a steady 30fps will look "smoother" to the human eye.
        The Radeon9700 seems to stutter in the HQ carchase test of 3DMark here because of a drop to ~30fps (my poor old XP1800's fault). When you turn on 6xFSAA and 16x anisotropic it runs much smoother, simply because the framerate is more constant. Even better is forcing VSync on and it runs all smooth.

But this is not limited to NVidia or ATI, I had this even with the G400 in old games where the card was too fast for old games in certain parts and then dropping in framerate in other parts due to my Athlon 600 - here a higher resolution in fact looked more "smooth".

Bottom line is (should be clear anyways, but many, esp. NVidias fps-kiddies still don't know it):
        You SHOULD always turn on Vsync (unless there are game/driver problems preventing this, of course) when gaming and only turn it off for benchmarking.
        Last edited by Indiana; 23 November 2002, 09:06.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

I can vouch what Indina says as I've seen that with my 9700 although not so much in game play must be a silly benchmark programme. Soon ATI are going to add Vsync forced on option rather than application preferance which is about time as fixing there non functioning game gamma.
          Sometime I'm gonna have to try UT on my 1800+ Athlon and G550 to compair to my 9700 just for the sake of it.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The newest ATI catalyst 2.4 driver have the force Vsync setting (you must enable it through some registry patch: search for VSyncSlider and set all of those entries to "01 00 00 00"). The Beta DX9 drivers have it as well.

EDIT: Sorry, there might be no VSyncSlider entry in the registry at all- So search the registry for the folder where the current driver settings are located (this can be a bit confusing, especially if you had lots of driver versions installed, in this case search for e.g. "QuickResolutionFeatureButton") and create a new binary with the name "VSyncSlider" and the value "01 00 00 00".
            Last edited by Indiana; 23 November 2002, 21:20.
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
            X