Simple question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question

Okay it's relating to the banding issue.
    LCDs don't have it but crts do.
    I presume that the filtering is done on the outside of the chip and that lcd's being digital don't have any filtering to convert analogue back to digital so is it some sort of filtering issue??
    Note my thinking may have gone a bit due to drink by the way.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Yeah, it's a little gone.

A lot has been covered in this thread:

The D to A conversion is done inside the P chip for 1st and 2nd head.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If I understand correctly it's the inbulit ramdac thats causing the problem as dghost explains.
      Last edited by The PIT; 6 December 2002, 17:04.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Perhaps not.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Honestly, i have not a clue what is causing the problem. most of my points in that was simply to get across the point that 1) the ramdacs are responsible for the digital to analog conversion, and 2) they could be at fault.

doesn't mean they are. it could be a lot of things. bad timings, bad power, etc. Personally from what I have seen, i would vote on a problem with the power.. but... who knows... i'm not an EE and i have not done anything with asics... i'm not an expert and i am not really qualified to diagnose the problem.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Dghost you maybe right and since Matrox are struggling at the moment they may know the fix but cannot tape it out since it's internal.
            Could be me being drunk.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Who knows. its not really my place to say.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Dghost you maybe right and since Matrox are struggling at the moment they may know the fix but cannot tape it out since it's internal.
                Could be me being drunk.
                if they're saving every scrap...who knows whether they have the resource to tape out the revised core...(should we repeat this? sell the excess inventory? naaah....they probably know it now )

Comment

Well if they are making the "P450" as it were, wouldn't they be trying to sell off those banding cores?

Comment

at 599$ US....

Comment

they should sell a triple heade DVI only model with no analogue outs....then they can say its a new model and get rid of the old chips

Comment

That's not likely to work, since the old chips almost certainly couldn't output a third digital signal like that.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I fulyl agree with marsh,

THey should put out a ALL DVI even if its just dual version of the card. THis way, the banding issues are not a problem, now just the broken AA is!!!

Lets start a petition!

People
                          For
                          The
                          Changing
                          Of
                          The
                          Parhelia
                          Into
                          A
                          Working
                          Part
                          By
                          Not
                          Including
                          Analog
                          Output

PETCOTPIAWPBNIAO UNITE!!!
                          -----------------------------------
                          WHATS A JAVA?
                          -----------------------------------

Comment

Parhelia ALREADY IS a dual-DVI card. there's nothing you could do to it to significantly cut cost by dropping analog.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Parhelia ALREADY IS a dual-DVI card. there's nothing you could do to it to significantly cut cost by dropping analog.
                              Just don't include the breakout cable and don't sell it on the webshop

Comment

Working...
                              X