Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabling Macrovision with DVD-Out on G400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wombat: DVDIdle is a PAY program that removes Macrovision! What do you have to say about the legality of THAT?

Cartman: I refuse to pay one red cent as a result of the Macrovision b-stards. Ever.

Comment

I say fine. IMHO, removing Macrovision protection is not illegal. However, that does not mean that you will not have lawyers dragging you around through court. A pay program implies that the company has the resources and time to have a lawyer take care of the hassle for them. That, or they're willing to take a gamble. It looks like a gamble, since the website doesn't even have proper English, and their support forum is run by <I>fengtao</I> who has the English skills of your average Chinese grad student.

The author of DVD Genie has a day job. If he had to go to court, he'd probably lose his job, even when found innocent. Companies know that, that's why they send C&Ds, even when they are unenforcable.

Ahh, further evidence for the "gamble" theory: DVDIdle also advertises "direct play main title," which is in violation of the DVD standard. Either this guy is outside of the US, or just considered too small to bother with at this time. Maybe they'll take him seriously when the product actually works (check the forums, it doesn't work for many people, including some with Macrovision still stuck on).
      Last edited by Wombat; 8 January 2003, 03:47.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry for not posting versions, but I've been off the forums lately. Will post them as soon as I get home after work...
        Oh, yeah... I have a G400MAX as stated in my signature...

Comment

I KILLED MACROVISION!!!! AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHH AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

Comment

umm... how?

Comment

Working...
            X