TV as main monitor help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV as main monitor help please!!!

I tried moving my 'server' into the living room a few weeks ago. Considering how well dvdmax (G400Max) looked on the TV I figured it would look great. However, as soon as I made the TV part of the desktop it looked like A$$. S-Video didn't even help.

Is there anyway I can get this to work without having to get a conversion box for the primary video? In the end I'd like powerDVD fullscreen to look as good as DVDMAX. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

tv is only very low res. (480 visible lines for NTSC, 576 for PAL).

Try setting the desktop resolution to 640x480, which should make everything sort of readable, or at least good enough to be able to launch applications like PowerDVD and the like from the desktop

If you use a short s-video cable, 800x600 might be reasonably useable on NTSC as well (of course it will not look nearly as good as on a monitor, since you lose a lot of resolution when displaying on the tv).

Comment

thanks for the response... should have been more specific. Knew that, but powerdvd at 640x480 looks terrible versus DVDMax even with a short svid cable

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

what's wrong with using DVD-MAX ?

it's meant for video playback, clone mode isn't...

Comment

Hook up a monitor to the primary output on your G400MAX

Use Powerdesk to set up clone mode on the secondary output.

Hook up secondary output to your TV (set that connection up as you want, DVD-MAX and all).

Reboot (if you haven't done so already)

Remove monitor from primary output, and leave TV connected to secondary.

when you fire up movies, DVD-MAX will kick in and viola, clear video, when your done, kill the playback, and your desktop should return in its full 640x480 glory via clone mode.

Hope this helps...
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

mmp, thanks... I'll give that a try. Dzues, I want to be able to run programs and games on the TV... specifically emulators (really miss playing my nes and snes games)

Comment

Well that's what I do, by enabling clone and dvd-max at the same time without a pc monitor hooked up, and the G400 flashed with the DOS TV-OUT BIOS (like mmp121 described).

If you use PowerDVD, it will close the overlay surface after finishing the video playback, and the G400 will switch back to clone mode automatically. Unfortunately, I haven't found any other application that also does this very usefull 'feature'.

Comment

Working...
              X