Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g200 mms won't work - why?

Howdy:

I've got a 2nd-hand G200 MMS (quad) board that I can't get to work. I've been talking to the tech support people in the Matrox company tech support forums, but have not yet figured out what I need to do.

The short of it is: my available PCs will not boot with the card installed and set as the source of the primary display. I've tried this on both my main machine

Abit BP6, 2 Celerons (PII core), 768meg of memory
    G200 MMS quad board
    SB64 AWE gold
    3Com 3c509 NIC
    varying additional video cards (one at a time) including:
    ATI Xpert98 (8 meg rage pro) (AGP)
    Matrox Millenium II (PCI)
    ATI graphics ultra (512k) (ISA)

Running linux (slack 8.0/9.0beta, XFree86 4.2.1/4.2.99-3)

And on another machine:

Dell dimension t700r
    700Mhz PII processor, 768 meg of memory
    nvidia tnt2 AGP card (tried both with and without)
    etc.

(Win98)

If the G200 card is the only graphics card in one of these machines, it will not boot, whether the primary graphics adaptor is set to PCI or AGP. I've tried removing all other cards in the BP6 but still had not luck.

Once, the board produced a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, shortly followed by the right-hand side of the screen turning bright green, but that's the most impressive thing I've seen. The rest of the time, all that I can see is a screen full of white gobbledegook (If I turn the brightness all the way up to the max). It looks in truth like a signal that is somehow outside the monitors' sync ranges - not that there is a visible image, but rather that some coherent signal is being sent to the monitor but that it's in a format that the monitor cannot parse correctly.

The boot fails before the machine gets around to trying to boot off the floppy drive, even though the floppy is set as the first device in the boot order. Usually the hard drive light comes on for a bit, but that's all that really happens. Unfortunately this precludes me running the matrox hardware diagnostic utility with just the g200 in the machine. When I try and run it with some other video card also installed, the utility pukes after identifying the board as a g200 mms quad dvi board and while trying to load a library.

I've tried flashing the bios with both older (2.7) and current (3.3) versions. I've dumped the pins data and examined it. I used mxinfo from the MatroX files site to dump info from the board, and it turned up this interesting tidbit:

PINS at 7b60; checksum OK.
    00: Signature : PIN
    02: Size : 64
    04: PINS Version: 3.5
    06: Last pgm. : 2003-01-04
    08: Programmed : 3 times
    10: Product ID : 0, America, MultiMon, 0
    12: S/N : PAX09819
    28: Card version: 607
    34: PCB version : 6908-6
    48: Mem control : 042450a1
    53: Video ctrl : Separate sync on sync out, 0 IRE blank.
    56: Base memory : 8 MB
    59: Fact.options: DVD FP Link, no VGA output

The text in number 59 implies that my board is not able to produce vga output. This was not mentioned when I bought the board. I don't have any flat panel displays, and I really don't intend to buy them. But if I check on the matrox product page

It tells me that every g200 mms card is digital- or analog-ready.

Based on all the preceding information, I've come to the following suppositions:

(1) The computers won't boot because either
    (a) the g200 board expects a response back from a DVI (DVD?) panel that it fails to get.
    (b) the g200 board is somehow set to never allow itself to be used as the primary display, so the computer fails to find a primary display and halts.
    (c) the board actually is screwed.
    (d) the text on the matrox page is not accurate and I really do have a board that can't produce vga output

(2) If (a) or (b) are true, then I need to be able to alter (hopefully) only one or two values in the eeprom to get my board to produce vga output and work as desired.

(3) If (2) is true, then since my flashing the bios did not effect any visible change in the board's behavior, I possibly need a new pins file from a g200 mms quad board NOT set to pure digital output. Possibly it's also something set in the option byte.

So, anyone got a pins file from a g200 mms quad board, or information about what else I could try, or just ideas about the problem in general?

So anyways, thanks for reading my long ramble. I really want to get this card working, but I'm kind of at the end of my rope right now. Any help would be appreciated

Zeke

First off, on a Matrox card, "no VGA output" means the card doesn't have backwards compatibility with the old VGA interface. Your card is probably designed to be run as a secondary card only, have you tried adding another video card as primary and seeing if the card with display once windows is loaded?

Comment

The dell would not even boot with the g200 mms board installed, whether or not it was the only graphics board in the system, and whether or not the primary boot video device was set to AGP or PCI.

At one point I had a windows 98 partition in the bp6 system. When I tried installing it under that, with another board set as primary, I could still never get a display, and the settings in the display properties kept changing w/o my intervention. Eventually it fubarred the settings for the other graphics adapter and I ended up with windows booting to 640x480 @ 8bit color, and the possible settings for the primary adapter changed to a much more conservative range.

I've been tinkering with changing settings in the PINS file, but nothing there has helped so far. Bizarrely enough, though, I changed the OPTION byte from 44 (HEX) to 45, which, according to the docs at the "matrox files" site, is just enabling the g200 signon message at boot, and now my system will boot with just the matrox card installed. Unfortunately I get no display at all, not even the garbage I did before.

Anyone have any more thoughts?

zeke

Comment

after I flashed my Acorp 6A815EPD I cannot get the matrox G200 boot on my system . It only works as secondary adapter. But it still works and won't boot the system with itself installed only.
        Also I cannot flash the card because I don't have a floppy and I cannot flash it on my Mac G3- beige also because it gives and error?
        anybody knows why?
        nerd_lab@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X