G400 errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 errors

I have this G400 AGP card installed on the ASUS K7M Slot A board, Athlon 700 CPU,17 gb Seagate hd, 256 mb ram, Win2K OS.
    Mostly it works fine BUT if I shut the pc off,not when I restart, the settings go back to 16 colors. If I tell it to to go to 32 bit I get a box popping up,"Graphics driver encounter unexpected errors". The only way to fyx it it to use Matrox uninstaller, remove the drivers, reboot, reinstall when it finds new hardware. Then its fine. I did notice sometimes it say "drivers not digitally signed etc" But I d/loaded the drivers off the Matrox site so I assume they're right. I did find some knowledge base articles on the MS site for problems with Matrox cards but nothing that seems to apply here.No help on the Matrox FAQs either.2k has all updates. Any ideas? If you need more info , tell me what. Thanks.

tsk tsk tsk, guys.
    I refered this user over here, telling him if anyone could help solve this problem, it was MURCers.
    But not a single suggestion after a full day...
    I hang my head in shame
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Is the graphics card properly seated in the AGP slot?
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

while it may not be relevant, do you have any of the win2k service packs installed?

Comment

How thoroughly have you removed matrox drivers?

Check driver details, get list of files.

Remove drivers by matrox uninstaller, remove everything starting with mga in System32\ and System32\drivers, delete System32\pdesk folder and remove key Matrox from HKLM\Software.

Reinstall latest drivers.

Search the FAQ and Powerdesk forum in matrox tech support forum for possible incompatibilites.

If the problem still doesn't go away either reimage windows to CDs or another partition and try installing drivers on clean install (that's what I'm doing this weekend) or start removing other permanent software and or drivers that may be causing conflicts.

Comment

"Is the graphics card properly seated in the AGP slot?"

Yes , I tried that.

while it may not be relevant, do you have any of the win2k service packs installed?

Up to date.

How thoroughly have you removed matrox drivers?

I have removed the drivers using PDUNINSTALL . Should I be doing more ? I will try remove the files you listed...when it breaks again. Right now it's ok. I did edit the registry per MS knowledge base instruction and disabled matrox service in administrative services per MS instruction. No luck on Matrox site FAQs or support. I'll keep fighting it next time it breaks. Thank you very much.

Comment

I had a similar problem with both G400 and the G550. It went away when I changed the motherboard in that case the Abit KT133A.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

My problem is different but you can nontheless check my thread on Matrox tech support as PeterB had some suggestions about possible conflicts.

tsk tsk tsk, guys.
                Kruzin: my recent threads were received in similar manner. After all most people are users, not beta testers. (Nothing wrong, I'm just stating my observations)

Besides since 98 I recall having 3 major problems requiring support by forums or tech support with my Matrox cards, IE there are little problems with them. Hell I was running NT and out of the box drivers for a looong time.

People don't know how to troubleshoot Matrox GXXX cards and driver problems since there are hardly any common problems with them (at least in my experience).
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 March 2003, 14:03.

Comment

besides, this forum is getting more and mroe empty...

true, Matrox cards rarely has problems with them.

Lately i haven't been using the lounge... i dunno why.

Comment

I assume your K7M/G400 BIOSes are up to date and that the K7M has appropriate chipset drivers from AMD and VIA.

I own two K7M boards, but I've never seen this particular prob myself... The troubles I've been having with them & my G400 cards have been mostly 3D instability issues, and I've gotten most of them fixed by disabling Super Bypass in the system BIOS and by installing the LargePageMinimum registry file from AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X