windows 2000 and matrox millenium g400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2000 and matrox millenium g400

hi, i'm new in town and have a BIG PROBLEM.
    Recently i installed windows 2000. The installation went fine, but after working a while in windows 2000 the system blocks (screen freezes and strange colours).
    I tried everything; i installed a bios update, new drivers for motherboard and videocard. What more can a humble and patient man do??????
    My system:
    -pentium III
    -motherboard asus p3v4x apollo pro 133
    -memory 320 MB
    -video matrox millenium g 400
    -monitor 17" Proview

- lower AGP aperture speed with MTSTU
    - install VIA AGP driver (if still no improvement)

Comment

Have you got the latest BIOS for your motherboard? I used to have the same problem on a MSI board and nothing helped until I flashed the mobo's BIOS with the newest version available... Check it out...

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
        - lower AGP aperture speed with MTSTU
        - install VIA AGP driver (if still no improvement)

thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it. but i have some other questions:
        how do i lower agp aperture speed??
        will this affect the pc performance???

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
          Have you got the latest BIOS for your motherboard? I used to have the same problem on a MSI board and nothing helped until I flashed the mobo's BIOS with the newest version available... Check it out...
          Thank you for your response.
          Positive, i updated my bios to the latest version from the matrox site............ok what now

Comment

Originally posted by cking4@ford.com
            My G400 (32Mb DH) ran fine w/2000 and v5.52 drivers on my own system (Asus P3B-F), and currently it's
            working like a champ in my father's HP Pavilion XL-775 (Asus OEM mobo w/Via chipset, can't remember
            which one offhand).

On mine, I had AGP 2X forced with MTSTU, and the aperture was set to the maximum (256Mb). On my
            father's Pavilion, we're just using whatever 2000 SP3 installs as far as chipset drivers, and BIOS tweaks
            here are pretty much restricted from user adjustment.

The G400 doesn't work as well for gaming as it did on my BX board; it stutters quite a bit when running
            Unreal Tournament (orig), and at best I get about 40-45fps at 1024x768 (the CPU is an 800MHz PIII).
            But for 2D, which is all my father uses anyway, everything works great, and Dad loves the image quality.

Are you overclocking at all (what is your AGP bus speed)? If you are overclocked, have you tried backing
            off to stock speeds to see if it has any effect? My G400 ran stable up to 83MHz on my BX board, and it
            was non-Max and didn't have particularly fast RAM.

Was your system working with the G400 prior to installing 2000? Have you checked with Gurm about the PCI
            latency patch for Via? He seems to have had a lot of experience with this, as far as ATI cards go:

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...=latency+patch
            well, i didn't overclock and in windows 98se everything worked fine. just a stange thing happened when i tried to update matrox drivers in windows 98..........same problem. So i uninstalled and went back to the old drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by maoyong
              thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it. but i have some other questions:
              how do i lower agp aperture speed??
              will this affect the pc performance???
              through MTSTU, as I said, which can be downloaded from www.matrox.com

This will _not_ affect real-world performance of the card.

Comment

sorry, i didn't know how this site works....
                i didn't overclock
                worked fine in w98se (but the same problem occured when updating matrox drivers)
                how can i reduce agp aperture
                will this affect pc performance

Comment

AGP apperture doesn't affect performance.

Comment

do it from the mbd setings page ...
                    "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Thanks everybody

Resolved the problem!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X