Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the latest Matrox DVD software? Digital passthrough? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the latest Matrox DVD software? Digital passthrough? How?

Does the Matrox DVD player software support digital passthrough? I have updated my Matrox DVD player at least once, paid $15.00 or whatever. I'll check it out again.

What do I need? I have a PCI SB 128 but there's no SPDIF and unfortunately, the digital output on the PCI SB 128 seems to be downmixed PCM 2.0 stereo.

What is the cheapest soundcard I can use to do "digital passthrough" of the DD AC3 and DTS bitstream to SPDIF coax or optical to connect to my receiver ? (I have TOSLINK and COAX digital jacks on the receiver). Cheaper solutions preferred. Apart from the infamous jitter question, I can't imagine there being a huge difference in sound quality. I have no need for any other sound functions other than simple sound for the PC.

thanx

cpc@accessv.com
    Last edited by morkys; 19 April 2003, 11:00.

I was able to do AC3 DD passthrough with my SB 128! I can't do DTS though. I was using Gladiator and my Matrox DVD player software.

Any ideas why I could do AC3 DD "digital passthrough" and not DTS? The lights on my receiver lit up and showed DOLBY DIGITAL and all the channels being decoded. Sounded good, albeit a little quieter than from my interlaced Panasonic DVD player.

The Matrox DVD player software has

#1) The option to select 22050/44100 or 48000 hz for Sampling and;
    You can select from:
    #2) Decode and downmix to :"Dolby Surround" or "Stereo" or;
    #3) Passthrough to Soundcard (AC3).

Only shows AC3 in the brackets. I selected passthrough to soundcard. DD works, but not DTS.

In the DVD player help it says DTS passthrough happens transparently. Maybe that means I don't select Passthrough to soundcard, I just leave it as decode and downmix and choose 48000, but I doubt it. The only way that would work is if the DVD player software and/or the soundcard automatically senses the DTS bitstream and passes it, but why not have that within the same option as the passthrough with the AC3 mentioned?

I'll try it again tomorrow.

Any ideas? Is it the Matrox DVD player software?

I will get whatever soundcard I have to if necessary, but I shouldn't need to spend much at all.

thanx for any help

Comment

Your cheapest bet will probably be something based on the CMedia 8738 chipset...
      Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Ok. My options are:

Cmedia 8738 soundcard like Aopen AW850 Deluxe or SB Live! with SPDIF option.

But why can I get DD AC3 and not DTS? Is it the Matrox DVD player?

What is the latest version of the Matrox software DVD player?

Comment

It could be your sound card drivers as well.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thats true. I should update the SB 128 drivers too.

Comment

Working...
            X