P750 review (partial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P750 review (partial)

First off I'd like to apologize for the lack of cohesive review. Many of you know my reasons for being late, and still not finished and thanks for putting up with me

The benches below were run on an XP2400+ MSI746 ultra motherboard and 512mb of generic 333Mhz DDR.
    Windows XP sp1 and for the P series the 1.04.01 drivers.
    The G550 used the 5.88 drivers

The title of the test reflects the setting(s) in the benchmark suite or powerdesk.

I need to re-run the SpecViewperf tests before I can release them.

A note about these benches, I would never consider running UT2K3 (or even Quake to an extent) at 1024x768. I chose that resolution purely to show the scaling of the different GPU's.
    From the amount I've 'played' played with the P750 it runs UT2K3 acceptably at 800x600 with things turned down a smidge (I need more game time to make a better decision - at least that's what I'll tell my wife )

All tests were run three times and the average of the results is listed below.

The SpecViewperf tests as well as the AA tests will follow - as soon as I'm not working 17 hour days I'll put in a some game time and get you screen shots.

As far as general use, its a nice card. If your a serious gamer - move along there is nothing else to see here.

The dual hardware video overlays make using MSP7 much easier then with the G550 and having the feature display (read TV out) as well as dual head is a great advantage.

I have not detected any banding, and so far the FAA seems to be fixed.

I'll look at all requests for extra testing question, again I do apologize for the huge delay - I should have more free time from next weekend to complete this review.

As a last note thank you to Utwig for taking my excel file and making the pretty graphs.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Thanks Dan!

Seems to take a much greater % hit from FAA - wonder if this is because we hit a throttle point somewhere - will be interesting to see what the % hit from FAA is in various different resolutions for the P's. (Sorry, am in analyst-mode today )

G
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

If I get time later, I'll run the tests at lower res modes. Sadly I think the FAA as far as game play goes on the P750 will be a novelty only - with some hope if they actually bring out a more 3D orientated card next year.

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

1/2 price, 1/2 speed, 1/1 features ... sounds like a fair deal to me.
        no matrox, no matroxusers.

Comment

...and if Dan is right, no banding as well so 1.1/1 quality can be added to that list
          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

actually i think you could manage to play C&C generals or Enter the matrix on the P750 (not sure of the settings though).. Seems that P750 is as good as a Geforce4MX for playing games.. Thats not too bad actually.. even though i would have prefered something faster...
            Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
            ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

perhaps the greater %hit with 16xfaa, is because they use a different algorithm that actually finds ALL the edges, perhaps the final review will answer this.
              This sig is a shameless atempt to make my post look bigger.

Comment

Pretty much what I expected for speed..
                ( btw. typo Qake vs. Quake? )
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

At these speeds and with all the features P750 suits all of my needs just fine... Now if those buggers would only hit the shelfes here I'd go get me at least one...

Comment

Anxious to know the comparison between P750 and 650.

Comment

Faa hit is probably bandwidth related as P750 has 50% of the mem bandwidth.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

I shall have to fix that image later. Like I stated the FAA seems to be fixed, but due to the inherant speed of the card, you probably won't be using FAA for fps a great deal. (Note to self, try it in a racing sim and flight sim)

Dan
                        Juu nin to iro

Comment

Thanks for the test Sasq. This card seems to perform as expected, 1/2 a Parhelia.
                          Now I just need to find one here and get some money to buy it.
                          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Sasq could you try Tenebrae as well? Just to see if the stencil shadows are AntiAliased?
                            NocturnDragon

Comment

thanks sasq. will be cool if a p650 is also included.
                              The future's no use today.
                              <a href="http://autarkic.org/geek.html">RIG*</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X