G400 MAX out -> P750 in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 MAX out -> P750 in

I have replaced my 2x agp G400 MAX card with a P750 from the Matrox store and all is well. Considering that I bought the G400 in Dec. '99, it has served me well. The P750 IHO is the way to go for a G400 replacement. Image quility of the P750 is better than the G400, and it was quite good.

The pictures that I have edited on the G400, are much sharper and easer to work with using the P750.

Now for those of you that have been asking about games, I can tell you that Civilization III, Sim Deluxe, Solitaire, and Star Terk Starship Creator Warp II, all benefit for the P750's sharp display. I know, these games don't need 100k frame rates to run, they are the ones I like to play.

I use two 19 inch monitors with the desktop streched across them. On the G400, my web cam and WinTV card would not play on the second monitor. With the P750, I can play them any where on the desktop. I don't have a DVD player so I don't know about that.

I tried getting Mandrake Linux 9.1 to work with the P750, but no luck. Even setting the card type to VGA would not work. Yes, I know that Matrox has Red Hat drivers, but Red Hat does not like tha fact that I'm installing it past cylinder 1024 and requires that I boot from a floopy. No thanks Red Hat. For now I'll stick with Windows XP Pro.

Over all, I has happy with the P750 as I was with the G400 MAX. It has already made editing pictures and building web sites a LOT easer to do.

The only other thing You might be interested in is my hardware setup;
    Tyan Tiger MP2640 motherboard
    2 Athlon 1800+ MP CPUs
    1.5 gig PC2100 ecc memory
    Adaptec 29160 U160 scsi controller
    73 gig U160 HD
    9 gig U80 HD
    Creative DVD-RAM drive scsi
    Yamaha FS1 CD-RW scsi
    Creative 52x CD-ROM ide
    3COM 905c
    Soundblaster Live!
    WinTV PVR 250

Thanks for everyones help in my decision making. This is one GREAT group.

Jim Yearwood

I'm glad you like it, I've been using the p750 for developing (code) and it is an improvment over my G550.

As for the rest of the review before anyone ask's I'm waiting on some feedback.

Dan
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

This is great news...... with 2 19" monitors and a G450 I'm getting the itch to upgrade. 1280x960 is on the edge of the clarity drop for my g450. 1600x1200 (per screen) is muddy IMHO.

Comment

shanebrooks,

1600x1200 Your eyes must be much better than mine. I just switch to 3200x1200 desktop and I need a magnifing glass to read the text! LOL

I just brought up one of the pictures I have worked on and I think I'll use this 3200x1200 setting for picture editing. I can see the whole thing without scrolling.

Thanks for the push to try it.

Jim

Comment

As a guess for mandrake 9.1 and your p 750, use the VESA X-server if you don't want to use the matrox driver..It probaly the most compatible one for all modern video cards(if you can live without 3d )

Comment

Originally posted by jgyearwood
            shanebrooks,

1600x1200 Your eyes must be much better than mine. I just switch to 3200x1200 desktop and I need a magnifing glass to read the text! LOL
            sure thing. 1280x960 is the best resolution for a 19" monitor IMHO for text. However when doing a lot of coding I'd like to fit a couple more lines on the screen which is where 1280x1024 fits the bill nicely - squashing the geometry a little.... however enen this has a little fuzz to it compared to the lower resolutions. I do think that 1600x1200 is nice when playing with large graphics images as you have discovered...just my current G450 cant hack it that well - esp on dual screens.

Comment

Otherwise, there is a nice intermediate resolution of 1400x1050 which I use on my 19".
              Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Originally posted by K6-III
                Otherwise, there is a nice intermediate resolution of 1400x1050 which I use on my 19".
                Perhaps another reason to get a Parhelia(lx) chip based card then as my G450 jumps straight from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200

Comment

I just use Matrox Monitor Manager to make a custom resolution of 1400x1050 @90hz. Works beautifully.

You can try to use PowerStrip to do the same for your G450...
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X