No announcement yet.

Pathetic check before choosing P650 over P750 or ATI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At work (Photography Lab - big) we still use Matrox G200 - G450 in all our machines, coupled to EIZO monitors, both TFT and 19" CRT's, Tactile ones
    There is a good reason we are still using them, they are just the best 2D out there. Hands down.

edit:
    At home, i use mostly the ATi Radeon 9500pro, BBA.
    The colours arn't as vivid as the matrox, but in games, it can't lose the fight. Sorry.
    If it had been a Matrox with as good 3d, i'd be there (oh, and don't forget the price..)
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The little thread that could

For clarity:

My G450 is currently at 1280x1024@85Hz on both heads. My Two monitors are excellent and handle this easily (dual 19 inch Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u). Everyone I show is blown away by the view. ... but there is little doubt that there is a gradient of sharpness/crispness as you move from 1024x768@85Hz -> 1280x960@85Hz -> 1280x1024@85Hz. It is subtle - but it is there. All I am looking for it to get that extra 'zing' into the higher resolutions because I sit here 12 hours a day and I deserve it . It looks like people are suggesting the P650 may just have that extra zing I'm looking for.

No doubt... I'm a fussy bugger. For one I cant stand using a computer that has cleartype technology turned on. I am sure I can see every little grey anti-aliasing dot in the text and it just looks plain fuzzy to me. Even on an LCD - I'll take jagged edged letter over fuzzy outlines any day of the week.

As for 3D? whats that for?

Comment

Those are low resolutions, and the G450 should handle them fine. The G450 is generally knife sharp up through 1600x1200.

Your monitor only accepts D-sub inputs, so we can't suggest that you try RGB cables. Also, it only has a 0.25-0.27 dot pitch, so there's definitely some fuzz there.

You could <I>try</I> a new video card, but I think it's the rest of your equipment.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
          Your monitor only accepts D-sub inputs, so we can't suggest that you try RGB cables. Also, it only has a 0.25-0.27 dot pitch, so there's definitely some fuzz there.
          A Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u has BOTH Dsub and BNC RGB connectors. I'll give an RGB cable a go.

AFAIK - dot pitch is fixed for any given CRT and is not related to resolution or refresh - for a 19" monitor 0.25 (centre) is pretty darn good.

hehe.. I guess my mind is made up - time to buy.
          Last edited by shanebrooks; 10 August 2003, 05:33.

Comment

Working...
          X