Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dZeus
    for #2
    recovery console of the Windows XP cd... or a Windows Preinstall Environment (WinPE) CD.
    Windows Preinstall Environment (WinPE) CD: I never heard of this. Is it in a special bundle?

Comment

Originally posted by chaoliang
      Windows Preinstall Environment (WinPE) CD: I never heard of this. Is it in a special bundle?
      It is a part of the OEM license packs. One of these comes with a 5-pack WinXP OEM bundle, and is supposed to be used by the system builder to make recovery CD:s and automated installs. Like the ones you get when buying a brand name PC/Laptop in stores.

Anecdote: My current office laptop had such an install, based on the manufacturers Volume license, no activation needed :-)

(It comes with all purchases of OEM license packs for resale as far as I know, not just the 5-pack of course)
      Last edited by cadwal; 17 August 2003, 08:21.

Comment

If you need access and you have 2 partitions, you can install another OS that reads NTFS (NT4.0 SP5, 2k or XP), install in different folder or connect HDD to computer that has NTFS capable OS.

Comment

OK. If I no longer use W98, I don't really need dual boot system any more. And now I have several possibilities to access the NTFS partition:
          1. Recovery console;
          2. NTFS reader (if I keep one FAT32 partition);
          3. Install XP on another partition to gain access:
          4. and so on.

Thanks a lot!!! As for the SCSI CD boot problem, I wrote ASUS a mail. Let's see what they will say.

Comment

WRT to recovery console:

Install Recovery console
            X:\I386\Winnt32 /cmdcons

where X:=CD-ROM where you inserted Windows CD

Start->Run "MMC"

Console->Open->compmgmt.msc
            go to Computer Management local
            Add Local Computer Policy snapin
            Save changes

Rightclick my computer, manage

Local Computer Policy->Windows Settings->Local Policies->Security options->Recovery Console: Allow floppy and Copy Access to all drives enable

Local Computer Policy->Windows Settings->Local Policies->Security options->Recovery Console: Allow automatic administrative logon Enable if you don't like to type admin password at recovery console logon, if your box is physically secure, you don't need to.

Boot to recovery console
            Type SET
            Help will show up, set variables so that you'll be able to copy and/or gain access to files latter if neccessary.

I also recommend to alter your BOOT.INI or in My Computer-Properties->Startup and Recovery so that list of operating systems will display for less (I use 5) than default 20 seconds.

Comment

If you want to boot off of a SCSI CD-ROM, first you have to set the motherboard BIOS to boot off of SCSI, then you have to either set the SCSI BIOS to boot from CD-ROM, or change the ID of the CD-ROM drive to one lower than the hard drives, but with the adaptec card you shouldnt have to change the IDs.
              -mungu

"She won't last forever, so why buy her diamonds?"

Comment

Thanks, UtwigMU!

Comment

Originally posted by mungu
                  If you want to boot off of a SCSI CD-ROM, first you have to set the motherboard BIOS to boot off of SCSI, then you have to either set the SCSI BIOS to boot from CD-ROM, or change the ID of the CD-ROM drive to one lower than the hard drives, but with the adaptec card you shouldnt have to change the IDs.
                  The AMI BIOS on my board doesn't have the option of boot off SCSI. My CD drives have the lowest IDs.

Comment

Working...
                  X