Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kruzin
    Who says it isn't dual channel?
    It looks to be the same board as the 128meg, just 1/2 the RAM.
    That's like assuming the 256meg board is quad-channel, just because it has more memory chips.
    I say so, because I can read RAM specs. The Infineon chip used is a 4M x 32 part. So, 32-bit data bus per chip. It takes 8 RAM chips running in parallel to give the Parhelia its 256-bit wide data bus. You can add more chips, and wire their address pins differently, to add more data space (as the 256MB Parhelia almost certainly does), but you cannot take chips away without decreasing the data bus width.

With only 4 chips, you have a 128-bit data word width (unless you do some <I>really</I> hackish stuff, like what I alluded to before).
    Last edited by Wombat; 11 September 2003, 23:13.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, you are correct. While it used the same P chip, same memory controller, the drivers only used 1/2 of it.
      I suppose it was kinda intended to be akin to the P-6/750, but it got canned before it came out.
      No great loss, but it would be kinda cool to have a card that was never actually released. But not worth it to me at $165+...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

No great loss, but it would be kinda cool to have a card that was never actually released. But not worth it to me at $165+... [/B]
        Agreed.....I bid $15.00 and was instantly outbid by proxy..
        .....I also think that $165.50 is too high a price....

Comment

So it would have been as 9500Pro is to the 9700Pro, same core, 1/2 memory bus.

If that's true, then had Parhelia been more accepted/faster that would have been the $$$ maker for Matrox.
          Last edited by bsdgeek; 13 September 2003, 12:35.

Comment

Working...
          X