Interesting read (ExtremeTech)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ex-SalesSoup
    Matrox's current strategy is looking good. In fact, I haven't been this optimistic about the future of the company in quite a while. This doesn't mean that a high-performance gaming board is on the way. In all likelihood, Matrox will continue to focus on markets in which it has been most successful. The fact that the Marketing Department now reflects this strategy means that everyone's now focused on the same goal.

From the outside, I understand how difficult it is for some of you to assess how well the company is doing. All in all, the future definitely looks bright and although I'm among the breed who would love to see an ATI/Nvidia-killer sooner rather than later, I'm pretty excited about Matrox's fit in this industry.
    You say you are now focused on the same goal, do you think that caused problems in the past? Focusing on many goals at the same time? (Parhelia seems to be a little bit of everything.)

Though yes, it is great to hear you guys are doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky001
      And yes I absolutly hate it when I have to change AF or AA in my ti4400's drivers. Why cant I have hot keys or App preferences saved in to the drivers. The KyroII had drivers that could do that.
      You might know this already (not apparent from your post), but Parhelia/P-Series has App preferences as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
        You say you are now focused on the same goal, do you think that caused problems in the past? Focusing on many goals at the same time? (Parhelia seems to be a little bit of everything.)

Though yes, it is great to hear you guys are doing well.
        Not that we weren't all focusing on the same goal in the past. Rather, we are now grouped in a way that better enables us to learn as much as possible about our respective market, which maintains a clearer focus on our goals.

I have no doubt that we will release next-gen products that will surpass the Parhelia's performance, but which will be targeted to meet the needs of particular segments, as opposed to consumers as a whole.
        OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

Truth is, until Dan Wood is under house arrest, you Matrox guys are hosed.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You should send Parhelia to reviewers.

For instance 9600XT vs 5600 shootout.

Sure tha Ati card will pwn Parhelia in benchmarks, but Parhelia will pwn FX 5600 and Ti 4200 in benchmarks.

Thus pointing out: it is a viable midrange gaming card and great for people who want dual DVI and gaming card and semi pros who also game.

This will also generate recognition and branding.

For instance, look at few popular forums: There are countless debates of Ati vs nV and most newbies or less informed people, don't even know that Matrox exist. Nowdays people just ask you wether you use nVidia or Ati.

And "reporters" who write printed articles, just read Tom, Anand or [H] and semi-translate their technobable.

And home buyers (people in 25 to 40 range) and company decision makers (who don't know about computers, but know about business) just read those magazines and look at the graphs.

Branding, branding, branding.

As for professional CAD, Architectural and design mags, Matrox should have a strong advertising presence there.

I just reinstalled a 1998 rig today: PII 333/G200 and another of the same kind about a month ago. Then serious people had Matrox, while kiddies had Voodoos, now family PC buyers just get R9200 or FX5200.
            Last edited by UtwigMU; 15 October 2003, 13:38.

Comment

The P might perform better overall than the 9600XT or 5600, yet we're talking 300-400$ vs 200-300$. You can guess people will look towards 9700/9700Pro, 9800/9800Pro at that price.
              You don't have something to put it against, if you compare it with the midrange, it looses in price, if you compare it with the highend it looses in performance.

I'm with bsdgeek on this one, price cut

Comment

Thanks bsdgeek, I did not know that (i have a g450) I want a p750 for my next machine.

Looking at it this way we see that the parhelia came out just before the radeon9700. so we have from ATI 9700pro, 9800pro, 9800XT. And from Nvidia we have FX5800, FX5900, FX5950. So while each of these manufactures have released updated cards to enhance their comany image Matrox has done nothing. For example very late in the game Nvidia relesed AGP8x versions of the GF4, there was no need for them to do this, it does nothing to performance but image is everything.

Comment

Opps. Double post, Sorry.
                  Last edited by sparky001; 15 October 2003, 16:13.

Comment

I'm actually happy with this re-focus, going more pro, and slimming down, will be better for the business, sidestepping the rat-race. Higher margins etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
                      I'm actually happy with this re-focus, going more pro, and slimming down, will be better for the business, sidestepping the rat-race. Higher margins etc.
                      yes.
                      OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

<font size="1">"So now I'm dreaming<br>For myself I'm understanding <br>Performing there, one hundred thousand fans would gather one and all <br>And so decided, we could rule it all if we should <br>Dance all away across the greatest city in the nether world..."<p>- Central Park 09/24/03</font>

Comment

There's always Longhorn coming up, you've got to bring out a full DX9 (If not DX10) card for all features, so why not go all out and get that ATI/Nvidia killer, eh?

<if you happen to quote me, you can tell me when it's coming out through a secret message like this, no one will ever notice... ; ) >

Comment

Originally posted by bsdgeek
                          There's always Longhorn coming up, you've got to bring out a full DX9 (If not DX10) card for all features, so why not go all out and get that ATI/Nvidia killer, eh?
                          hear hear!
                          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

we're very serious about the release of Longhorn and I'm relatively certain that we'll have a solid platform for supporting this future OS.
                            OFFICIAL EX- EMPLOYEE

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ex-SalesSoup
                                we're very serious about the release of Longhorn and I'm relatively certain that we'll have a solid platform for supporting this future OS.
                                Soupy,
                                aren't you afraid of Matrox SWAT team to arrest you for saying these things to us?

Just kidding!

Comment

Working...
                                X