Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vincent Ng
    ?!
    2d performance is not related to the chip?
    only related to the DAC??

But in fact, my system cannot use ATI'card...
    Since before i had a RadeonLE, once if i installed the catalyst driver, it crashed iwth my system...

before buying the G550, i asked my fd and tried his R9000 on my system again....unfortunately crashed again>.<
    So i can only consider nVidia at that time.

Actually i bought G550, there is still another 'strange' reason behind:
    I am a student who addicted to playing pc games...
    later after needforspeed 7, Dom3 and many many good games released, i will totally 'cannot be controlled'...
    nowadays those games are too good, make a lot of student in hongkong confused, miss their objectives...addicted to playing games...wasting time, totally not productive.

>.<
    LOL no sweat. I used to live in Hong Kong when I was small (up to J5). I know how high school is like in HK. Tough, really! The crazy exam (crazy is definitely an understatement) in F5 determines the student's entire life: success or failure. Its rediculous. If you fail that exam you can't continue high school. :| And the test contents are not only math and english/chinese. Correct me if I am wrong, but its like Chinese history, Western history, english, chinese, math, bio, chem, physics right? I understand your little dilemma. I can imagine how hard it is. I personally think this kind of education is really messed up because it doesn't reflect the student's specific ability in a particular area of study, and the HK education is all about memorizing all kinds of stupid useless stuff without any understanding. And that education doesn't reveal the student's creativity/thinking side, and I believe this kind of education is what make HK universities vastly inferior to the Western ones. I am also in high school, studying grade 12, which is equivilent to Form 7 in HK. Entering uni. next year. Looking back, Canada really changed my entire life. I would never imagine I know how to use computer, and now I am even building circuits lol... I am doing better in here than in HK because I have bad memory, can't memorize things. Canadian education enables me to use more thinking instead. (not that Canadian education is any good, I think its also corrpted, but that's another story)

Whatever, my two cents.

Back to the G550 topic

Yes, what Admiral said. 2D performance (speed) is dependent on the actual graphics chip design. All the DAC does is process the final picture produced by the graphics core, both 2D and 3D graphics.

Here is a "diagram" that will hopefully help...

In analog mode:

GPU render 2D and 3D graphics digitally --> DAC on graphics card transforms 2D/3D digital data into analog pixel data --> analog cable --> monitor

In digital mode:

GPU renders 2D and 3D graphics digitally --> DVI cable --> monitor --> transform these digital data into analog so they can be put onto screen

So the DAC basically does nothing but only transform digital to analog data. DAC has almost nothing to do with the speed of 2D images (let say photoshop), the quality of DAC determines if the color of the image is washed out or not. Washed out, blury pictures are usually due to a bad DAC: analog signals not being perfect.

So DVI has nothing to do with the DAC. So no matter how good the DAC is, DVI users will not be benefited because in DVI mode, the DAC is bypassed.

Anyways. I am le tired.

Going to bed!

Cheers

Ron

(I may have lots of spelling mistakes b/c Its late in here!!!! TIRED!!!!

Comment

o i understand now

thanks

I look like u actually, have poor memory>.<, but i like thinking more, so in some analysing question, i will do beter than some require good memory Q
      ....i just examed the A-lv here. again "unfortunately', my result is not good, cant enter any '8 big' U in HK.
      What i am studying now is some private college which open a degree programme(Conventry Unversity in UK) in Hong Kong.
      It is a new college here so i am quite concerning about its 'believe from others'

I am poor (finanically), so the chance for me to studying overseas is small...

I dunt know this way is good or not, but what i believe is that, to improve myself continueous, one day i can defeat HKU graduates
      who seeking a same job with me.

So now, what is need to improve is my English...
      Actually my english is very poor, only the writing part is better comparatively . My listening and spoken english is poor>.<

Chrono_Wanderer, can u share with me??
      ^^|

Comment

pls tell me which software is good for oc

i tried powerstrip b4, it seems to have problems

Comment

I am running bulk g550 (original core117 mem177) at core 133 mem 200 without any problems with no fans. I think with fan it could go on 205 - 210 mem speed. But I have only P3 672 so overclocking for me has no sense.

Comment

It is really strange...

After i reinstalled via 4in1 driver, i can use powerstrip without and problems.......

maybe i didnt install again the 4in1 driver after replaceing this card

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Ng
              nowadays those games are too good, make a lot of student in hongkong confused, miss their objectives...addicted to playing games...wasting time, totally not productive.
              Been there, done that.
              In other words, not just in Hong Kong.
              <font size="1" color="green">Holly: "Appreciate what vou've got, because basically, I'm fantastic!"</font>

Comment

Use Matrox's Tech Support Utility to OC G550

Comment

I tried to use the clock Tweak to oc
                  but there is only 0-20 i can choose from the circle...

how to use it?
                  how to oc the ram then??

Comment

By editing the bios pins ?
                    Does MGA Tweak also work with G450/G550 or was the G400 the last supported card ?

edit: but what's wrong with the tech support utility ? it overclocks in % for core and ram at the same time, so it should get you to 160 core and 200 ram at 20% ?
                    Last edited by Admiral; 16 November 2003, 00:28.

Comment

Mine is also Bulk version
                      The brand name call Forsa

Only $300 hk dollars
                      Come here to buy if u want

Comment

Working...
                      X