No announcement yet.

Is it OK to passively cool a G400 Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it OK to passively cool a G400 Max?

I'm bidding on a G400 Max on Ebay, and was wondering whether it really needs the fan. Is it OK to cool this card passively?

Also, there seem to be a number of G400 variants on ebay, some with dual head, some with passive heatsinks? What are the differences there?

TIA

G400MAX should have a fan to work properly.

The heatsink versions you are seeing are the original G400 with slower speed.

The GPU of G400MAX should be slightly revised... (i.e. RAMDAC runs at 360MHz vs. 300MHz on the original G400)

Comment

Re: Is it OK to passively cool a G400 Max?

Originally posted by jss
      I'm bidding on a G400 Max on Ebay, and was wondering whether it really needs the fan. Is it OK to cool this card passively?

Also, there seem to be a number of G400 variants on ebay, some with dual head, some with passive heatsinks? What are the differences there?

TIA
      There is no such thing as a passive cooled and/or single head G400 Max!

You can should be able to run the card whith a passive hs but don't do it with the original hs!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the G400 MAX can be cooled passively. You'll need a larger heatsink for it though; something the size of the G400's heatsink or larger. The standard MAX heatsink is insufficient without the fan.

Comment

You'll probably be able to get away with unplugging the fan if you aren't running any 3D, unless your case has enough ventilation (I unplugged the fan on mine, and have played a few short games of Wolf:ET with no problems).

Comment

I remember some people replacing the MAX's HS/fan with a larger, passive heatsink. Worked fine for them.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, mates!

I'll see if I win this bid or not and then check out the board some more

Comment

I got gazumped and lost the bid

Comment

Working...
                X