• Show
Clear All

• Here is my new computer :)

Hi guys

Here is the computer I have just ordered:

* Athlon 64 3200+ ( 1 MB Cache )
    * 1 GB PC3200 400 ram
    * ASUS K8V Deluxe motherboard

I have just downloaded Windows XP 64-Bit Edition from Microsoft.

Can´t wait to play FS2004... and can´t wait for Matrox to put out 64 bit drivers for the Parhelia... ( PLEASE !!! )

Soren
    My Home is my Theater
    My Theater is my Home

Re: Here is my new computer

Originally posted by Conker
    and can´t wait for Matrox to put out 64 bit drivers for the Parhelia... ( PLEASE !!! )

Soren
    With the way things are going @M I highly doubt that'll happen
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

a 6800GT would be like the ultimate gaming system

Sorry, i gotta say it lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
        a 6800GT would be like the ultimate gaming system

Sorry, i gotta say it lol
        X800 Pro @XT would be the ultimate gaming system ;-)

Sorry, I gotta say it

To be on topic: Please provide benches, when you got the rig assembled. We don't have many benches of a Parhelia with a decent CPU and/or of actual games.
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

I sure will
          My Home is my Theater
          My Theater is my Home

Comment

naa.. a 3Dlabs Wildcat realisem 800 would be the best ...
            "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

Indiana - what sort of benchies do you want? I have an Athlon64 3200+ i could drop my P into... the impressions I got when I tried it was that it simply was not worth it - it still choked on things that it shouldn't and it didn't seem to get much benefit from the additional processor speed...

Conkers - i wouldn't even bother with the 64bit edition of XP. Driver support is flakey at best and a lot of programs have poor performance in the publicly available build.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The Parhelia was released a year or two ago when the sub-1+GHz Pentium 4s were around. I think Parhelia has reached its limit by today's CPUs...

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                  i wouldn't even bother with the 64bit edition of XP. Driver support is flakey at best and a lot of programs have poor performance in the publicly available build.
                  Would I be able to install both Windows XP Home Edition - and Windows XP 64-bit Edition on the same PC ?

If so - how do I tell the PC what Windows to start from ?
                  My Home is my Theater
                  My Theater is my Home

Comment

you should be able to. last I checked the bootloader should be at very least be compatable between them.

probably the easiest way to set it up is to have a partition dedicated to each of them, that way you do not run into issues with \Program Files\ and \Documents and Settings\ being shared between the two installations.

once you get both copies of XP installed, it should ask you automatically which installation you want to boot.

again, XP 64 is not worth it to run right now. look around at the benchmarks that exist for Athlon64 systems under Windows XP 64-bit extended... with a few exceptions, most apps take a performance hit.. especially games...

well, that and the fact the Parhelia has no drivers for it, so you would not be able to use any multimon features or any hardware acceleration at all.
                    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The only reason why I want to try out XP 64-bit is because I have a 32 MB Matrox G450.

The 64 bit drivers for this card can be downloaded at the Matrox site, so I just want to see what the fuss is all about.

Soren
                      My Home is my Theater
                      My Theater is my Home

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                        it still choked on things that it shouldn't and it didn't seem to get much benefit from the additional processor speed...
                        Well that was about all I need to hear
                        I just thought that maybe a fast CPU could help the P a bit considering the CPU-dependency of my R9700Pro even with the A64 in a lot of cases.

Considering the "64Bit Windows" versions: I could not even get the 64 Bit version to a clean install, neither the 2003 Server, nor the 64 Bit WinXP Beta...

If you want to run in 64 Bit mode, go Linux.
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

well for what these synthetic numbers are worth heres what i get with P in my machine:
                          athlon xp-m clocked to 2.6Ghz, 238Mhz FSB
                          1Gig memory @ 238, 2-2-2 timings
                          raptor HDD
                          parhelia p8x @ 300mhz core, 392Mhz memory
                          3dmark 2001 - 11500
                          aquamark - 26500

couldnt even be bothered to upload the scored to the database.
                          All i can say about P is that i can play batllefield 1942 surround, unreal 2003/2004 surround and have pleasing framerates when overclocked as i have it. Good value, no way, it wopnt even play battlefield vietnam smoothly without settings reduced, but im addicted to 3 screens now so untill ATI or Nvid get round to surround gaming ill have at least one machine with a P in it.
                          is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                          Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
                          X