Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions wanted on Matrox QID to replace slow AGP+PCI combo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions wanted on Matrox QID to replace slow AGP+PCI combo.

Has anyone used a Matrox QID for three or four screens?

Here is my sittuation:

I love tripplehead in a 2D web/programming development workstation. I have no use for 3D.

I am beginning to loath Parhelias stretched desktop implementation and want to go back to independedent resolutions + ultramon. I am finding too many applications that just dont know how to behave on the super large stretched desktop and Powerdesk just doesnt do a great job of handling all the window redrawing as well as I would like. Too many windows are opening smeared across two or more screens and require manual resizing before Powerdesk can attempt to force them into complience.

I am currently switching back to PCI+AGP card (either 2 x G450 or G450PCI + Parhelia). This gives me the window management that I want, but suffers from problems with frequent slow screen redrawing that has been reported before in these forums (possibly a lack of bus mastering on non intel mobos or possibly just a PCI bandwidth problem).

So... I see two solutions that look good to me.

1). matrox QID supports up to 4 independent desktops all contained in a single AGP 8x card. No 3D but I dont need it.

2). wait for Dual PCIe 16x slot motherboards to come around and get two PCIe video cards to run them as separate cards (up to 4 screens) *not* as SLI. Presumably this combo will give me the 3 screens without any bandwidth problems.

Thoughts?

Am I the only one that finds a stretched desktop just too damn inconvenient?

Didn't I just see the G200 QID somewhere for cheap?...
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You mean G200 MMS.
      Someone posted something about them somewhere in the forums a week or so ago...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

PCI G200 Quad MMS for $230...
        Rediscover Overstock with Free Shipping on Orders Over $49.99 - Your Online Store for Smart Finds and Ridiculous Deals!
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I actually have a PCI Quad G200 here but I was hoping to get off the PCI bus entirely.

The matrox QID is based on the Parhelia LX chip - pricewatch suggests US$530 for the 128MB (who needs more for 2D!). Here in Australia the same card is AU$1300 which is US$1000 or nearly DOUBLE!

I installed a PCI G450 with the P for the moment and have turned off the wallpaper as the wallpaper really does seem to slow down screen refreshes/redrawing on the PCI card a lot. Not sure yet how much if anything this is any better than the G450 AGP+PCI combo I started with before getting the P.

Comment

What kind of image was the wallpaper? If it was a compressed format, or stretched, I notice a performance improvement by making a bmp of the right size.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

regarding the pci+agp slowdown i noticed a speed increase when running powerstrip in the background....i got no clue why that is though

Comment

Working...
              X