triple 1920x1200 solution found .. comments needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triple 1920x1200 solution found .. comments needed

So I called matrox and got all the information straight from them.

It turns out, there is no card in existence that will drive three monitors, over DVI, at 1920x1200. It doesn't exist, and there is nothing in the near term pipeline (3-6 months) that will.

So, the solution is, since I already have a AGP p750, I can drive two monitors over DVI at 1920x1200 with that, and then just buy one of the new pci 650 boards, and drive one more monitor with that. Easy.

Here are some points of thought I would like to run by you - any comments appreciated.

First, the pci version of the 650 seems to match up almost exactly, spec for spec with the AGP version of the 650. But the weird thing is, the AGP 650 is fanless, whereas the PCI 650 has a fan. Can anyone think of an obvious reason as to why the PCI version has to have a fan on the chip ?

Second, as I want the system I am building to be fanless, I am considering not only running the new 650 pci without a fan (seems low risk, since the AGP 650 is fanless anyway) but also making my p750 fanless as well. No special mods - just taking off the very tiny heatsink (not much heatsink there because the fan takes up the whole volume of it) and fan, and replacing it with just a heatsink.

Any comments on this ? Again, unless there is some obvious reason why a pci version of a fanless agp card has to have a fan, removing the pci-650 fan seems a no-brainer. But what about the p750 ? Are they known for running near their heat tolerances ? Should I be looking for a large surface area heatsink, kind of like those huge heatsinks they put on the fanless radeons ? Or will it run just fine (in your opinion) with only a (slightly larger) heatsink ?

thanks.

the 750 is clocked higer = more heat = not enough room for passive cooling.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

ok.

Any thoughts on the pci 650 ? I still don't see any reason why the pci 650 should have a fan and the agp 650 doesn't ... seem safe to all of you to just remove it and put a good heatsink on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by demonseed
        ok.

Any thoughts on the pci 650 ? I still don't see any reason why the pci 650 should have a fan and the agp 650 doesn't ... seem safe to all of you to just remove it and put a good heatsink on it ?
        Maybe it's due to the low profile form factor of the pci card... there may be not enough space for a passive cooler.
        I'm just guessing, the cooler on the AGP Card is quite big compared to the one on a G550 for example.

Comment

Working...
        X