Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New drivers and games

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to update you on the status of the games, i know many of you are wondering what is going on with OpenGL, keep watching MURC for an update, for now here's the games that have been fixed:

- Rogue Squadron: Fixed
    Yes we finally fixed it, thanks to Lucasarts for their support, get the patch from our website, and make sure you use the latest drivers and not 5.13.

- Microsoft Baseball 2000: Fixed
    Again thanks to Wizbang for their support, many wanted this done, get the patch off our website.

- Drakan: Crashing to desktop with EMBM
    Took me a while to reproduce it but i finally did, and after debugging it turns out it's an application bug, Surreal has been notified, hopefully they will have the fix in the upcoming patch.

Update:
    - System Shock 2 - doors and textures shmearing, reproduced with 5.21

- Drakan: No textures with EMBM on dragon and rainbow colors, reproduced with 5.21

- Braveheart: doesn't work with 5.21, works fine with 5.13

Regards,

------------------
    "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

[This message has been edited by R0M (edited 09-04-1999).]
    "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Rogue Squadron? Excellent!! ¦ )

Now.... do you have any tips about getting NT4 drivers to work in win2k? Ah got it! manually, and with the "have disk" option

[This message has been edited by tish beta2 (edited 09-12-1999).]

Comment

How about Expendable crashing to the desktop? From a clean install of win98se, freshly installed 5.21 drivers, any resolution setting for expendable, it immediately dumps to the desktop after launching.

Also, the Re-Volt demo still freezes randomly, requiring the reset button to reboot.

Everything else is fine, I can play Half Life and any of the "Madness" series of games for hours on end with no problems.

------------------
      Andrew Gallagher - andrew@agallagher.com
      Asus P2B-S (1010), PII-350 (3.5x100MHz), 64MB PC100, 12.7GB Quantum Fireball EX ATA-33, 2x2.1GB Quantum Atlas I UWSCSI, Toshiba 6201 SCSI CD, Yamaha CRW4416S SCSI CD-RW, WangDAT SCSI, MillG400 32MB DH w/ 5ns RAM(5.13 Divers/1.5 Bios/300MHz SCLK), SBLive! Retail (LiveWare2.1), JVC RX884V Dolby Digital Receiver@500W, Dell 17" (first head), ProScan 27" NTSC TV (second head), Win98SE, BeOS 4.5.1, RedHat 6.0, NT4SP5
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks for the update . Contrary to the above post , I would dearly like the game Half Life improved.While it plays well enough for single player , the multiplayer experience is less than what V2 SLI will give me . I can compare easily since I use the MAX with an SLI addon. The SLI , while bested quite well in regular D3D games , eg , 3D Mark , is still much faster in HL than the MAX , in either D3D or Opengl . That should not be . For example, TnT2 Ultra and V3 cards are faster than SLI , but not the MAX.The Matrox OGL driver is abiut 30% slower than the SLI , which as you will know is two V2s together .
        D3D on the MAX in Half Life is a few frames slower but not as good looking a game.

What is it about HL that gives problems ??

[This message has been edited by troop (edited 09-03-1999).]
        In Harm's Way

Comment

Quake 3 test 1.08 still crashes to desktop with the 5.20.017 ICD when switching resolutions and color depths. I replaced the ICD with 5.13.021 and the crash disappeared You guys have some real problems with OpenGL.

Comment

Welp, just got back from traveling and happy to see the new drivers are finally out, but I have yet to dl and install them for 2 very obviouse reasons. Seems most people are having trouble with them, they have slowed stuff down, AND to top it all off, Half-Life was not fixed? am I understanding this right? If I am, can I kindly ask what the devil was beta tested for 3 months then? I distinctly remember a post saying half-life prob was known and beeing worked on. How hard can it possibly be? PLease tell me all I am seeing is mass hysteria and in truth the drivers are working with the originally commented 15%-30% speed increases all the beta testers seemed to have noticed and that OpenGL actually works well now.
            A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

How's about this, I just installed 5.21 and tried playing Drakan. Still freezing every now and then, texture tearing, missing textures, I also would like to know what was tested cause uninstalling 5.21 and reinstalling 5.13 fixes all above problems, except random crashes which I got used to and now that I finished the game i'm not gonna worry about it anymore.
              PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

ROM: Please check the image corruption in doors in system shock 2.

I have the demo and it seems a very promissing game. And with current drivers, it´s preety much useless.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 09-04-1999).]

Comment

Shadowman now has problems with the new drivers as well

Comment

I'm having trouble with intermittent stuttering in Heavy Gear 2. I have the latest drivers, BIOS, etc. for everything so the problem is either with the game or the G400. And its not really a perfomance problem, because it runs fine for a few instant action mission and then the stuttering starts. Dropping the res doesn't help, the only cure is to restart. This is really annoying because it renders the game totally unplayable, the framerate gets all shot to hell. (And BTW I had this problem with 5.13 too).

Comment

System Specs: Dell PII -400, 128mb RAM, OEM Matrox G400 SH 32mb, PD 5.21, Win 98.

Comment

Here's my sightings in PD5.21.

-General issues

Occasional stalls in D3D and OGL games. (Not caused by disk-activity).

Ugly dither in 16bit 3D-modes. More in Quake 2 section.

Sometimes when playing with many D3D and OGL games in a row, games start to quit into desktop before starting and the only way to resolve it is to reboot. Also there can appear following pagefault error message with corresponding game, here GLQWCL:

(For those who don't understand finnish, here's a quick translation: GLQWCL caused pagefault at module <unknown> in memorybank 0000:baa0111d. Registers:..)

GLQWCL aiheutti sivuvirheen
                        moduulissa <tuntematon> muistipaikassa 0000:baa0111d.
                        Rekisterit:
                        EAX=c3ba0310 CS=0137 EIP=baa0111d EFLGS=00210206
                        EBX=83059c98 SS=013f ESP=0105f6d8 EBP=0105f850
                        ECX=00000280 DS=013f ESI=baa59200 FS=3cf7
                        EDX=00000001 ES=013f EDI=00000001 GS=0000
                        Tavut muistipaikassa CS:EIP:
                        c7 00 07 25 01 23 c7 40 04 ff ff ff ff c7 40 08
                        Pinon vedos:
                        00000001 8315a01c baa03a74 00000001 8315a01c 0105f850 83059c98 8162ba54 baad2ad5 0105f788 8315a01c 00f2ac7c 00000000 0000006c 00001007 00000004

-GLQuakeWorld 2.33-0005/GLQuake 0.97

GLQuakeWorld starts in fullscreen now.

GLQuake/GLQuakeWorld's dynamic lights still don't work. Textures are displayed with rainbow patterns. To reproduce, toggle down the console and write "r_dynamic 1" and "gl_flashblend 0". http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/glqw.jpg

-Quake 2 3.20

Benchmarks done with normal playing configuration.
                        (gl_picmip 0, gl_playermip 1, gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST)

demo: PD5.13 / PD5.21
                        --
                        demo1.dm2 : 36.5 fps / 36.6 fps
                        demo2.dm2 : 37.2 fps / 37.2 fps
                        massive1.dm2: 32.5 fps / 32.5 fps
                        crusher.dm2 : 21.6 fps / 24.2 fps

There are occasional stalls (>10 fps) during timedemos.

ALT-TABbing kills Quake 2 with a "GLimp_EndFrame() - SwapBuffers() failed!" error. ALT-ENTERing (toggle window/fullscreen) works.

About the dithering:
                        Most of the screenshots illustrate that PD5 does a quite ugly dither in 16bit screenmodes. Switching to
                        32bit screenmode gets rid of the dithering but it lowers performance and it's not possible in all situations.
                        The dithering is the most noticeable when transparent graphics are rendered. 3DMark99 shows them
                        very good when the sun bursts are rendered in view. Also the white smoke trails against black shows the dithering.

If screenshot has "gl_nearest" mentioned in it's filename, it's done with gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST otherwise
                        gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR was used.

All screenshots are made with gl_picmip 0 (maximum quality) in Quake 2 start map (excluding Gloom shots),
                        facing left hand wall. Screenshots are in PNG-format (excluding the Gloom ones) to preserve the image quality.

The two Q2 Gloom mod screenshots are to illustrate the mipmap difference when using
                        gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR and GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST. The floor is smooth using
                        LINEAR mipmaps, but jumps to smooth in NEAREST.

http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/quake2dither/

If you want to see a good quality dither (give applause to Voodoo 3) then look at Hypnozone
                        (finnish site though, but the pictures and captions are understandable).

http://hzone.vekoduck.com/artikkelit...ative_s4_4.htm

-Tribes 1.8

Texture and hud trashing has gone almost entirely. Some trashing can be seen where lots of model textures and large land area are shown.

Also there are still issues with texture managements performance. When there are no large changes in the scenery, the game runs fine without any noticeable slowdowns but any large changes (explosions, many players running in view, quickly changing the direction of view) slows the game for a while. (Death be not proud demo and the demo from ADishServedCold map)

There is still grey gridlines drawn into the edges of land and sky textures. Also there can be seen some white dots in indoors at the edges of textures. http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/tribes181.jpg

Z-Buffer issues can be seen in buildings. (Beatdown demo) http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/tribes182.jpg

-FlightGear, a free GNU licensed flight simulator, http://www.flightgear.org , seems to be down at the moment..

Hud texts, hud numbers and menu texts are corrupted. http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/flightgear.png

-Q3test 1.08

Green tint on rocket explosion smokes and on shotgun pellets ricochet effect. http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/q3108_1.jpg http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/q3108_2.jpg

Also there was stalls when watching the black sky on Q3test2. http://www.netppl.fi/~tumu/pd521pics/q3108_3.jpg

-Tumu, who hates those UBB-link codes..

--
                        Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset Mobo (bios v3.3),
                        64MB PC100 RAM, G200 8MB SGRAM (not overclocked, bios v2.3), PD5.21, SB16 Value,
                        3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, Win95OSR2.1 finnish

[This message has been edited by Tumu (edited 09-06-1999).]
                        Celeron 333 (not overclocked), GigaByte 6BXE Intel 440BX AGPset (bios v3.4),
                        64MB PC100 RAM, nVidia TNT2 32M (was G200 AGP 8MB SGRAM), SB Live! Value LW3.1, 3COM Fast EtherLink XL, Sony Multiscan 100ES, HP8210i
                        Win98 finnish

Comment

rickn:

What kind of problems are you seeing with Shadowman and 5.21, The only problem I am seeing is textures disapearing on the lead character. Everything else seems ok, a bit of a problem with slowdowns with 32-bit textures on, but I would expect that.
                          PIII 700@960, Asus CUSL2, Adaptec 29160, 2x Seagate Barracuda 18.2GB, SB LIve!, 3COM 3C905TX, 256MB Muskin Rev. 2 PC133 at 2-2-2, G400MAX soon the be replaced with ?.

Comment

Tumu,

Please could you supply some info on how to get Tribes running well ? I've just got my ( vanilla ) G400 & was looking forward to OpenGL Tribes, but the fps are really low at all res. & with even the lowest graphics details.

Q3Test, Half-Life etc run really well as far as I'm concerned...

Any hints - clientprefs entries, whatever would be gratefully recieved !

Cheers

Ian

Comment

This is for ROM. I have a couple of probs with drivers (I hope). In Xwing Alliance I get rainbow checkerboard like patterns on some textures only in the 2d/3d areas like in the tech area where you can look at the different ships.
                              And in FighterSquadron:Screaming Demons over Europe, I get weird tearing(sort of)were presumably the polygons meet. In the terrain, not the objects. It kind of flows along the seem, and is a black jagged thing.
                              Both of these problems are annoing, and the sort of thing that one expects from a $89.00 cheepie video card, not a $250.00 high end no compromise card. I had a G200 and had none of these sort of probs before. It always worked properly. OGL wasn't right yet but that was 2 months ago. Please help. I really wanna keep my money in Canada, but this sort of thing is beginning to bug me.
                              thanx

------------------
                              AssuP2B ,300a at 337, 128megs PC100, G40032megSH, Yamaha PCI sound,2 small HD's, 42X Sony CDrom and 98SE w/shutdown patch, PD 5.13

AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X